cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical or Logical only attributes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Newly converted from ERwin, I like that the Logical and Physical models are separate files that are linked and synced.  However, I am looking for a way to represent differences between the Logical and Physical that I do NOT want to sync at an attribute level.  In ERwin I would make a derived column Physical-only and it would not show up in the Logical diagrams/reports.  Likewise conceptual and Logical attributes that are not being implemented currently, can be suppressed from the DDL by making them Physical-only. 

How do I handle that in Power Designer?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

At entity level, you can use the "generate" flag on General page of the entity. It will instruct PowerDesigner not to generate this entity on next level (PDM).

It does not exist though at attribute level.

In an other hand, if you suppress it from the PDM, it will not be selected to be recreated in subsequent generations from LDM (using is the "Preserve modification" feature of the Model to Model re-generation).

Marc

PS. You can also create an extension with a new attribute flag "Generate" and a post-transformation that will remove it on the fly during the generaion process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marc,

I have had trouble implementing the post-transformation portion of your PS above. Creating the extended attribute is easy enough, but post-transforms do not seem to like when objects get deleted.

Jay

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

My mistake. Use a pre-transformation so that the attribute is deleted before being generated.

See the ldm in attachment. (it is a zip, remove .txt extension)

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Mark.

Sounds like a couple of good options I can try.

Jane