cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP DMS Data carrier type "archive"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since the old topics related to this issue are several years old and somewhat unanswered I thought I'd start a new one.

We are trying to start utilising the DMS functionalities, but I'm unable to set up a data carrier type "archive". When in DC20 I choose the data carrier type I've created (T4) and click on "define archives". I come up with the possiblity of entering the data carrier I wish to use. If I use the drop down menu button I'm shown the data carriers that are listed in table TDWD and nothing else. If I decide to create a new data carrier here by pressing on "new entries", receive the following error message after naming the new data carrier:

You cannot use data carrier t4 - try displaying possible entries

Message no. V&021

Diagnosis

You want to use a data carrier that has either not yet been defined or one that cannot be used in this situation.

Procedure

Use the possible entries (F4) to select a data carrier.
Enter the data carrier for the computer or archive where the original application files are stored.

My question is how to create a new data carrier and have it visible in the drop down menu under "define data carrier type archive" -> define archives.

Br,

TaalasmaanSeppo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please check the settings in transaction OAC0 or CSADMIN, because the setting in transaction OAC0 or via SPRO

- Cross-Application Components
   - Document Management
     - General Data
       - Settings for Storage Systems
         - Maintain Storage Category

shows if T4 has been set up as an IXOS archive content server. So in this case T4 is set up as a storage category. But the data carrier that you have mentioned then is different to a storage category. The data carrier that is defined in DC20 at “Define mount points / logical drive” can be used as a kind of prefix for the original files.

But a storage category cannot be used as a data carrier. The entry T4 should be visible if a user adds an original and then press the checkin button. As the entry T4 is setup in OAC0 as storage type “HTTP content server” the flag “Use KPRO” must be set for the document type as well. You were able to do that when you enabled "use kpro" for doc type VIR and you were able to archive your document number 123. So in a nutshell I think that there is some misunderstanding about the “data carrier” field and the functionality of a “storage category”. The way ‘T4’ is setup it can only be used as content server storage category.  For further information I will invite you to consult the information available to the small ‘I’ documentation buttons in DC20.

Best regards,
Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Christoph. That is actually the very same answer I've received from SAP already. However this is still not clear to me.

My configurations are following:

Content Repository: T4

Documnet Area: DMS Document Management System

Storage Type: HTTP Content Server

I've set up the "Use KPro"-functionality for this document type. Therefore, based on your reply, T4 has been incorrectly set up as a "storage category" and cannot be used as a data carrier.

When I click on the small "I" buttons on DC20, I get the following pop-up:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Define data carrier type Archive

Work step not required

This work step is not requried when would like to store original application files via Knowledge Provider in a secure area. You define whether original application files are stored using the Knowledge Provider in the definition of the document types (Indicator Document storage via Knowledge Provider).

Note

We recommend that you only use the Knowledge Provider for storage.

Work step required

The system requires the data carrier type Archive if:

• the original application fils are to be stored in an archive
  • the original application files that are stored in an archive are to be processed.

Activities

1. Enter the key for the data carrier type

Archive

(for example, AR).
    2. Describe the data carrier type language-independently (for example, Archive).
    3. If the archive is available online, set the oline indicator. This is NOT the case, for example, if the archive is in a filing cabinet
      4. The system sets the

Archive

indicator automatically.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me this bit of text is confusing. According to it setting up data carrier type archive is not required if KPro is used. However it is not forbidden, just recommended as mentioned.

In addition it states the system requires data carrier type Archive if the orig. files are to be stored in an archive (in my case they are to be stored in an archive) and the orig. files are to be processed (this is also true in my case).

It states nothing related to my original question which is "how to create a new data carrier and have it visible in the drop down menu under "define data carrier type archive" -> define archives."

I'm a still a bit lost here so any further guidance you guys can provide would be extremely helpful, cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong in my configurations? Your help would be much appreciated

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

hi,

unfortunately this is not that easy to answer because it requires detailed ArchiveLink know how. But maybe the information at

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/EN/4c/e657a07e173ec6e10000000a42189b/content.htm

could be useful for you.

Best regards,

Christoph