Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on technical monitoring of jobs

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I've FINALLY managed it to get technical monitoring more or less working...

We found out, that there are some failing jobs in the production system and

no alerts from monitoring were issued. A day or two later, an alert finally came,

but it was basically saying, that a specified threshold for the number of failing

jobs has been exceeded.

Fine, but this is not what I have quite expected. For me, a good job monitoring,

especially on a production system would be, that as soon as a job fails, there

should be an alert, saying WHICH job exactly failed, not just a common message

like "Something failed! Go to SM37 and found out what by yourself!"

So, I would kindly ask you to advise how can I configure the jobs monitoring, so

that it would correspond to my expectations.

Many thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Use BPMON for monitoring your Job , You can configure  specific Jobs to be monitored  ( including monitoring start delay , end delay , failure etc ) also Critical monitoring can be enabled suct that the job  is seen critical and monitored in  5 Mins . Alerting is also much more enhanced .

Check in

https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000012372014E/Job_Monitoring_Setup_Guide.pdf

https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/bpm

Thanks ,

Manu

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Manu,

thanks for your answer! The document that you sent me is for sure very valuable. But it is 60

pages, it requires the pain of going again through one more guided procedure in the solution

manager, and it will activate many more functions. And we are already behind the computational

resources of our Solution Manager - it's dumping quite a lot, all the WP are used, etc. etc.

This is a very small landscape and all these fancy functions for the jobs, are unfortunately not

necessary, as we don't have so critical jobs anyway. My requirement is much simpler - to just

have the name of the failing jobs in the technical monitoring...

Thank you!

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon ,

Technical monitoring has its own limitation when it comes to displaying the Job name . This was the exact reason  which forced me to look into BPMON Job monitoring .

The CCMS monitoring is still active in the new solution Manager , why dont you try it .

Thanks ,

Manu

roland_hennessy
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon.

Please check SAP note 1747633 which explains how you can customize
different sections of the email i.e add name of the failing jobs This note also mentions
the name of the BAdI which should be implemented.

See also below link for our BAdI interface documentation.

wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/TechOps/Alert+Consumer+BAdI+Interface

Also check thread http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-31819

Kind regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

As Manu has mentioned in his reply, the best bet for you is to use the BP Mon for job monitoring.

Please also look at my document -

this will help you further and also with the email notification of the job failure.

Hope this helps....

Deepak

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thats the Exact document i  tried first .

Hi Symon ,

This is less than a page 🙂 And sure you will like it

Thanks ,

Manu

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

many thanks for your reply! You have already recommended this note to me in another thread:

unfortunately, as I have also mentioned in that thread, I was not able to implement the BAdI, I found multiple instruction guides on how to do it, but in the end I was not able to do it and I have asked in the thread for more details and some additional aid, unfortunately it is still unanswered.

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Manu,

I can try that document some sunny day. But it is not less than a page (it is 10 screens on my monitor 😄 ) and it looks like it'll take quite some time to implement it. Currently there are other outstanding tasks, which require my attention, and also I am still too much frustrated how extremely difficult it was to implement Technical Monitoring, so I really need to take a break from this topic now...

As I am currently reading the book Technical Monitoring and operations in SAP Solution Manager - there they briefly discussed the possibility to create a custom monitor, taken from RZ20. That was a procedure shorter than 1 page and maybe this is what I would try to do soon.

I would just ask if somebody here on this forum has already tried this and would say that it's a viable solution ?

Many thanks in advance!

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon ,

All the very best .. Apologies that my answers  were not specific to your questions .

Job monitoring was a priorty in our landscape  ( and  myself being weak in BADI's and all the other stuff ) took the BPMON route .

Thanks ,

Manu