cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI can not process empty files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have some problems as SAP is sending empty files.

are there any way to avoid this kind of files?

Actually an error happens when an empty file is sended. Xi is not able to process it and this empty files blocks the correct execution of the following files.

Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Masters,

There are very interesting replays. I will try it and let you know.

Thank you very much for your value help!!!!!!!!

Kindest regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Masters,

We had an error this morning. This is the log:

<i>2007-04-12 08:00:00 UTC: Error: File 'Diageo_Multisite_col.dat': Archiving to file'/data/backup/20070412-080000-296_Diageo_Multisite_col.dat' on FTP Server after processing failed: FTPEx: Transfer complete.</i>

The file Diageo_Multisite_col.dat is Zero bytes.

It is not important as this file will be overwrited tomorrow and the interface will be executed.

But in other interfaces that take a lot of files, if one is empty XI does not process any of them and does not provide any log. Until Zero bytes files will be deleted XI will not process files.

Hope it helps somebody to help me in order to understand the problem

Thank you very much

Regards.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Esther,

Is there some limitation on the FTP server that prevents the file to be written to the target FTP destination?

To me this looks like some problem with the Authorization to transfer 0 bytes file on the FTP server. Try checking with the FTP admin and verifying this.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

in previous SPs this was big problem (I faced it with quite many scenarios), this problem was resolved in later SPs.

I used work around to remove such files using script from source directory. Another option you can use is to develop adapter module in java and delete or rename empty file.

Regards,

Gourav

---

<i>Please reward points if it helps</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh

Our QOS is EXACTLY ONCE

And yes, I mean Zero bytes files.

Thanks for your help

Regards

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is not standard behavior.

The empty file should not stop the processing of your other files. Maybe if this problem is persistent raising an OSS with SAP should help.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bravesh

We have the mode ARCHIVE in the adapter.

I guess that this could be the problem, when XI tries to make backup of all the files wich are sended by SAP, if one of them is empty.

We have not any options regarding HANDLE EMPTY FILES due to our versio that is XI 3.0 SP14.

Could you please help us in this? it will be so gratefull.

Thanks and kindest regards.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Esther,

Even if the mode is archive i dont think it should be any problem.

The file will be found to be empty and will be archived to the archive folder.

Also, one quick question, when you say Empty file is it a Zero Bytes File?

What is the QOS of you file adapter?

Regards

bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Masters,

We have some interfaces that receive empty files from SAP. XI can not process them and it generates an error message in the adapter monitoring (I can not provide you the log because today we have not any error but I will update the post asap). If the file of the next execution has the same name SAP overwrite the file and XI will process it successfully.

The problem is when the file has, for example, a time stamp. In this case SAP do not overwrite the file and we have two files waiting to be processed, one empty and one no empty. XI tries to process them (we have configured XI in order to pick up all the files in the folder and when there are two no empty files works fine) and it is impossible because the 0 bytes file block the execution.

My question is the following: there are any options to avoid the empty file in order to process only the no empty file?.

We are on SP14.

Than you very much for your value help and kind regards.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Esther,

1.What is the mode in your sender file adapter?

2. If the QOS EOIO?

Like i mentioned by default if the file adapter finds a empty file it will just proceed without processing the file and will delete the file ( if the mode in the sender file adapter is delete ). The Audit Log in the sender file adapter will give a Warning and proceed by processing next file and so on.

The file adapter FAQ also mentioned the same ,

<i>

31. Empty File Processing

Q: How does the File Adapter handle empty files and messages with a zero-sized payload?

A: Empty files in the sender adapter will not trigger the creation of a message. If an empty message is sent to a receiver channel, no output file will be created.</i>

Regards

Bhavesh

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Which SP level are you on?

Pre SP 19, the Adapter will actyually ignore the empty file processing and proceed with the next file.

You will get a warning in the communication channel monitoring stating "Empty Document Found, Process Without Processing " or something of this sort,

Afdter SP 19, you have an option in the File Adapter to mention how to process Empty Files.

1. Do not create Message

2. Proceess Empty Files,

3. Skip Emptry Files.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/content.htm

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh,

Great info as usual.

Regards,

Jai Shankar

prasanthi_chavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Esther,

As the empty files will not be processed by the XI,it shud neglect those files and shud process the next coming up files.

If u have same file names for ur empty and non-empty files then check the overwrite existing files option in processing parameters and hope dis shud not give any error..as the empty file is overwritten with the data.

Regards,

Prasanthi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Esther,

Do you get any error messages? If you are using wild card characters in sender file adapter and an empty file is encountered, this will not trigger a msg to IE and the processing will continue with other files. So what exactly is your problem. Can you give more details.

Regards,

Jai Shankar