Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distributed installation of BI 4.1 SP1

former_member186487
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I was going through a below link and trying to understand it.

http://http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Distributed+installation+of+SAP+Business+Intelligence+and+...wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Distributed+installation+of+SAP+Business+Intelligence+and+configu...

It seems that the WebTier is on hostA, BI Processing Tier is on hostB.

I am assuming that while installing the BI Processgin tier on hostB, a cluster name was given called "BODevCluster".

Correct?

At last, in the "BusinessObjects BI System Configuration" section they are configuring something so that both can talk to each other.

Questions -

1. I am assuming that configuration is done on hostA where the WebTier (Tomcat is installed). Is it correct?

2. Is it applicable to BI 4.1 SP1 as well and is there any guide, which talks about it so that instructions becomes sort of official.

3. In the configuration, all it is doing is to replace the servername:port with cluster name.

How is it going to find out that this cluster "BODevCluster" resides on hostB. How the Tomcat will find out that the cluster "BODevCluster" belong to hostB because the hostname of HostB is not mentioned in any of the the files during configuration (BIlaunchpad.properties, CmcApp.properties , CrystalReports.properties, OpenDocument.properties).

The questions may be very basic for some but I am trying to understand the very basic of Tomcat clustering as it is very new to me in comparison to SAP Netweaver 7.x clustering. I could not find it in installation guide or Admin guide.

Your help will greatly appreciated.

Please help me.

Thank you,

SS

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After installing processing tier in Host B, you make the change the cluster in CCM.

Answer to your questions:

1. yes.Configuration is done in web tier. Launchpad properties etc.

2. yes. Process is same for 4.0 and 4.1

3. While installing web tier, it will ask for whcih CMS you want to connect to. You refer CMS host B.

I think the blog you referred in your question, is missing the CMS screen. You always install CMS server first and than Web tier.not the other way around.

And also when you define cluster, you are clustering 2 CMS servers, not web server and CMS server.

Refer Pattern books for accurate information.

BIP on Windows with Mobile and Explorer Pattern Book - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN...

former_member186487
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for clarification.

Questions from your explanation -

A) So the configuration they are doing in these four files (BIlaunchpad.properties, CmcApp.properties , CrystalReports.properties, OpenDocument.properties)

is only to change the cluster name so that it appears on the logon screen.

Othwerwise Tomcat is already connected to the CMS on hostB, because during the install of Web Tier the CMS reference must be given as per you.

Correct?

B) Based on my experience, I am also thinking that once these properties files are changed, redeploy is required?

Is it correct?

I agree that cluster is for 2 CMS servers.

C) What is the purpose of having WebTier on seperate server HostA? To reduce the load and have multiple tomcat on hostA in future for load sharing?

I mean is it possible to have multiple Tomcat on same server hostA and connect to same CMS and is it recommanded?

Thank you again for explanation.

Regards,

SS

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A. Yes correct.

B. Redeploy is not necessary. Just delete the Tomcat cache and restart the Tomcat.

c. Why do you want to install multiple Tomcats in the one single host? It is not recommeded. Are you planning to install Tomcat manually?

I would recommend go through Pattern books.

former_member186487
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for clarification. I will try the approach for B as per the note 1879431 - How to clear the Tomcat cache directory?.

I will have to understand C in more detail and then open new thread with proper question.

Regards,

SS

Answers (0)