Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Directory Server

santiobejero
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am new with IDM, I am starting on reading on vast numbers of documents in SAP Marketplace and reading discussion in thsi space. On most of the documents I was reading through, VDS is one of the key player in IDM which is a rule of thumb to have VDS in the system landscape. My question will be if VDS only serves as the acts as a single access point for clients retrieving or updating data in multiple data repositories, as it provides a uniformed view of the data in real-time can connecting your other repositories directly to the Identity Center will it still work. Maybe just to simply, what are the Cons and Pros of having VDS? I have seen as well in some diagrams that it is optional. Appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks,

Santi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Santi,

VDS is really an incredibly powerful tool, that in my opinion, does not get the love and respect it deserves.

Besides being the gateway for HCM and GRC, it can be used to make just about any kind of data easily accessible by presenting it as LDAP.  It's also great for bringing together multiple repositories, not to mention creating customized LDAP authentication repositories without having to go through all of the fuss of setting up a new server, installing the LDAP of your choice, and then loading in the data.

Also with VDS, back end data stays in the back end and does not get replicated (yet again!) meaning that as back end data changes, so does the data in the Virtual store.

Take a look at the documentation on VDS, and what people are doing with it.  Feel free to post your inquiries here. We'll all try to help out!

Regards,

Matt

santiobejero
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the insights. I will continue checking all VDS related documentation. Appreciate the help from everyone here. I agree with you, with regards to the respect and love VDS and it is under appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Santi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ChrisPS
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Santi,
                 it really depends on the scenario. Running HCM as a leading system in IdM uses the VDS as well as the GRC scenario where IdM requests are submitted to GRC for validation. It can also be used for Identity webservices or exposing a number of directories/systems for example. I'm sure the community will also have some other inputs.

In general the provisioning framework provides a number of key connectors which means that a VDS is not required when connecting to SAP, Lotus Notes, LDAP directories and Database systems for example.

Hopefully this clarifies things a little.

Thanks,

Chris

santiobejero
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

This is my understanding as well, I am thinking on why if the landscape is being run by HCM, why do we need VDS to have a single point of all of our repositories if SAP in terms of Provisioning Framework have predelivered key connectors on various applications?

Given that we have key connectors why can't we just utilize it as HCM and GRC are both SAP Systems only. Are there any specific reason to use VDS if we are having HCM and GRC in the picture.

Appreciate the response from your end and taking time in giving your idea.

Regards,

Santi

ChrisPS
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Santi,
             really it is a little historical that it was done this way - as both HCM and GRC already used the LDAP interface the VDS was then used as a connector to link them to IdM and the scenario has continued in this way since then. On THe HCM and GRC side there are preconfigured reports and services that integrate into this scenario which are still used.

Thanks,

Chris

santiobejero
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I was thinking that VDS is more of giving flexibility to IDM itself. Considering that it is using Virtual Directory Tree,  which uses a  unique identifier. It is making IDM process more efficiently in terms of pulling data from various repositories but all of this are my interpretation only.

Thanks,

Santi