cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check Database (IQ & ASE) are in file system or raw device in Unix---? any OS command

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

please help me on below topic.

How to check Database (IQ & ASE) are in file system or raw device in Unix---? any OS command

regards

abhishek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

For ASE there is a similar stored procedure called sp_helpdevice.  You can then examine the physical location the same way.

Chris

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

As a follow on to both Mark's and my responses - both ASE and IQ can use raw devices in Linux.

These devices are generally block devices (e.g. /dev/sd<x>, etc) that are then mapped to raw devices (I won't get into mirror devices, LVMs etc).  Depending on the version of Linux, the raw module may be automatically loaded or not to provide the initial /dev/raw/rawctl node required by the 'raw' command.  The raw mapping can be done by the 'raw' command or at system start up using such things as udev rules or services.

The underlying block devices can still be owned by root, but the raw devices should be owned by the userid that starts the ASE or IQ (e.g. 'sybase') while the /dev/raw/rawctl node access can be defined as chmod 666 while still remaining owned by root.

The point here is that while file system devices allocate space on a file system and can be seen by the system and admins, raw and block devices should be carefully tracked in your system.  ASE and IQ will allocate the complete device for data, but the OS or SAN admin has no way of knowing that the device has been allocated for use by a database.  It may still show as a free partition on the device.

Track block device usage carefully to prevent someone else from using the space for another purpose and corrupting your database.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear chris,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation .

Now i come to know this properly

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

With IQ you would simply run sp_iqfile and look at the physical file location.  You can output the stored procedure output and just perform an 'ls -al' on each "file" to see if it is a raw device or filesystem device.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks mark