cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to perform a system copy using SWPM without creating an ASCS file system

Former Member
0 Kudos

I attempted to create a new system using SWPM system copy. Got nearly through it and it had created a new filesystem /usr/sap/ASCS/ (didn't have neough space available for this because I didn't know it was going to create it). None of my other systems have it and I'm trying to make sure this new system is a COPY of the other system. I made sure that I didn't make any selections regarding high availability or anything of that sort.

Is there a way using SWPM to no create /usr/sap/ASCS/ or since I'm not using any of the HA options, can it be removed without messing something else up?  If it can't be removed and can't be copied without it, what if any impact will it have on my system in terms of making it dissimilar to another system. I'm wanting this new system to be a "production support" system so it needs to be as close to production in every way as possible. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

This is an ABAP only NW7.2 system on Oracle 11g.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I believe you are planning to set up the system on Unix/Linux based on the filesystem information you have supplied. In that case the best option is to

1 - Create the filesystems on the target server similar to the source system but with a different SID

2 - Copy the files (kernel, environment files (SAP & Oracle) and SAP profiles) from the source system to the target system.

3 - Rename and adapt the environment variable files of the <SID>adm and ora<SID> users and also modify the SAP profiles with the target server, SID and port details

4 - Install Oracle and apply the SBP.

5 - Restore the source system database backup.

I have done this few times and it works well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Reagan, this is how I planned on doing it if i can't get the SAP tool to work properly. I was just trying to use the tools and procedures SAP has prescribed now for performing a system copy. The method you've described above will work on some systems, if the data files are the same and so on, but if I try to create a system using only a subset of data, SWPM should be fine exept for the carving out of the ASCS. I'm just wondering if there is a way to do it without it creating the separate /usr/sap/ASCS/. SAP says it's only for HA systems, but they don't seem to provide for doing this on "non-HA" systems.

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kyle ,

Have you tried  what was suggested by Sunil . Believe you could  do it ias detailed by sunil using SWPM .

The instructions also pops up on your installation start screen ( on the right side )

Thanks ,

Manu

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Kyle,

The method I have suggested will work on all releases. I have done it as I do not have to bother with the download and upload of the tools and installation media. You do the job of the installer.

>>if the data files are the same and so on, but if I try to create a system using only a subset of data, SWPM should be fine exept for the carving out of the ASCS<<

The target system creation using the data of the source system will create target system with the same amount of data in the source system if you use backup and restore or R3load export and import method. Ditto. Just the change in the SID.

If you really want to use the old installation media then raise an OSS message and the support might give you the download link.

If you are creating a new production system by copying only a specific set of data then TDMS is the one you need to look for. Moreover running BDLS is a production system is not advised.

If I were you I would install Oracle, copy the SAP kernels and recreate the symbolic links and consider doing a system copy using backup and restore. (Just my opinion)

Good Luck

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Reagan,

Here is exactly what I am trying to do. I'm needing to make what we call a production support system. It'll be refreshed with production data periodically. We do this refresh by breaking a mirror and disk to disk copy of the database. Our production system is about 1.75TB so I was hoping I could create the system using a system copy of our sandbox system (much smaller), then doing a refresh of the production data using the method mentioned above. This would avoid any production down time. I first tried using the SWPM system copy utility to perform this, but didn't know it was going to create the ASCS instance so I didn't provide for that prior to the installation and it's not how the production system is set up.

I then tarred the /sapmnt/<sid>/ and /usr/sap/<sid> from the sandbox system and extracted them on the target system and created the datafiles to match production, but since the sandbox system has a few datafiles on mount points that are different than production (and therefore the target system), the control file has to be altered manually. When I tried to use the SWPM system rename tool, it keeps getting hung up on the control file because it no longer matches the source system control file.  That's why I was going back to the SWPM system copy method and hoping there was some way of using that without creating the ASCS instance.

With the method you've outlined (and what I've tried before), if I copy from sandbox to create this, it should work. Without using the SWPM rename tool, shouldn't I only have to make changes to the default, start, and instance profiles, start the system and run BDLS?

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Kyle

>>With the method you've outlined (and what I've tried before), if I copy from sandbox to create this, it should work. Without using the SWPM rename tool, shouldn't I only have to make changes to the default, start, and instance profiles, start the system and run BDLS?<<

Yes and also copy the environment variable files for the OS users (<SID>adm and ora<SID>) from the source system and adapt them with the target host name and SID details.

Also the /etc/services entries should be created.

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you read the installation guide then you will find below note:

If you do not want to install the ASCS instance, you first have to prepare the central system host as global host, and then to separately install the database instance and the central instance. In this case, make sure that you follow the specifically marked instructions in the

Installation Checklist