cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCMS vs. MAI ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Our customer wants to use MAI instead of CCMS. In our next project steps we have to upgrade SolMan 7.1 from SPS10 to SPS12 and then we must configure the monitoring from CCMS to MAI.

From SAP point-of-view the MAI is better than CCMS (we all know the marketing way of SAP...), but our customer has all the monitoring things used by CCMS now and the change (CCMS to MAI) should work well, because the monitoring has an very high priority for the customer.

Now I have the following question in general:

.) Is MAI stable and working well or does MAI still need adaption from SAP to be working well in the future?

Thing is: I don´t want to change monitoring for the customer from CCMS to MAI if MAI isn´t stable and the customer has no benefit from that and monitoring doesn´t work for a long time afterwards. I don´t want to take that risk in that case.

If MAI works well - please give me some hint where to find documentations for MAI step-by-step configuration.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Manuel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Divyanshu,

Thanks for your reply in this case.

I´ve seen your documentation last week - really great but in this documentation I see that all things are positive for MAI and negative in still using CCMS.

Does MAI have negative aspects too or does MAI work well in all things? As I said, I don´t want to configure MAI when customer has troubles in monitoring afterwards....

Please give me short feedback to that.

Thanks & Regards,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps, it's not above anything positive or negative, it about new features and improvements.

Going with latest offering gives your more scope to use what's new and in demand.

For eg, I use my Cell phone to remotely monitor my system using SAP system monitoring app and  with CCMS this all was not available.

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi manuel,

Let me say from my experience with MAI. All is not green  and  MAI also has its minus but when compared to CCMS it is much much better

SAP is moving ahead with MAI and it will be best for ur organisation if you keep up with progress .

Thanks ,

Manu

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is what I fell

CCMS was way to easy to deal with, but then the future and support is for MAI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Thanks for your information!

But what would you say: Is MAI easy to configure or do you have any personal documentation how you have configured MAI step-by-step?

The links from Divyanshu here in his post are very general but I´m looking for a step-by-step documentation for configuring MAI after Solman 7.1 update from SP10 to SP12.

One more question: Is MAI configuration all technical or should we also consult a SAP application consultant?

Regards

roland_hennessy
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Please see following link for exact steps to configure MAI on SP12.

SysMon_Setup_and_Configuration - Technical Operations - SCN Wiki

I would suggest you review this carefully along with the Links that were mentioned previously. For my experience the MAI depends on a successfully configured pre-setup as well.

- System Preparation

- Basic Configuration

- Managed System Configuration

Without this you could end with  issues such as grey metric/false alerts etc...

Kind regards,

Roland

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel ,

The configuration of MAI is a hell lot easier   especially for some one who has  successfully used the CCMS 🙂 .  Believe there may be some step by step documents in SCN but dont feel it might be necessary for someone who has good knowledge configuring the same using CCMS

The links provided by Divanshu should workfor you as well . Try to get a green fo the first three steps including Managed system setup .

Give it a go .. you should be all fine . Raise  a new thread for any issue you face

All the Best

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Hi Roland,

Thanks again

@Manu: Thing is, that CCMS was configured some years ago and now I am the SAP Consultant who has the pleasure to upgrade SolMan to SP12 and setup MAI instead of CCMS....I think it the whole project will be very time-consuming.

Could you give me an input in time managment => how much time (count in days) should be invested for pre-work, update of SolMan and post-work??

Regards

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roland ,

To be true i havent yet upgraded a heavily utilized solution manager system . All the ones done were just used for Monitoring as well as MOPZ generation .

The worst took  a day ( 24 man hrs) to patch upgrade   and 3  days for  the setup [ Manged systems had to be restarted for fixing some issues ]. Technical configuration required another 8 hours [ No systems were using extensive CCMS aleting like log file monitoring etc   all were basic ]

Your case will be different . Do you have a non - prod solution manager ?

As you are unsure of the landscape its better to get a clear understanding of what all the solution manager does before you dive in .

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

I know what Solution Manager does and all the general things. I´m not new in SAP Basis.

But I haven´t upgraded SolMan to new SP12  and haven´t changed monitoring from CCMS to MAI yet. So this is a long lasting project for the next weeks and month.

And yes: the customer has an Dev- and Prod-SolMan.

Regards,

Manuel

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel ,

Got me wrong here 🙂

As you are unsure of the landscape its better to get a clear understanding of what all the solution manager does before you dive in  -  - Meant what  all the solution manger is configured/Used  to do in ur landscape , meaning you yourself didnt configure the CCMS ( In your previous Post )

While upgrading the DEV you should get the clear idea of how long it well take in production  for the upgrade and initial setups .

A month should be fine

Thanks ,

Manu

Answers (0)