cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup new sap system from database backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I wanted to setup few SAP system at the DR site. The OS and DB is same at both site so i decided to take Homogenious System export and i'll import it at DR site by using the sapinst but for taking system export the system downtime is  required so one of my friend told me to install one fresh system and the same system just restore the database backup which is taken by brtools of primary server. and the sap system will be ready to use but my question is, the data, users is stored in database only so that information i'll get from database backup but what about sap system configuration and RFC connnection that how will get reflect at DR server??

If anyone know, Please explain

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All SAP system configuration is also present in Database, along with RFC connection details get copied over with backups, you may need to start your database in standby mode on DR site (if my assumption is correct about what you intend to do)

General DB disaster recovery concept is explained over here.

To read more, please check the link business continuity for Oracle DB (example).

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You Siddhesh for you quick reply.

So as you said that all system configuration is stored in database so for installing the fresh new sap system, can i do fresh installation on DR server and later after restoring the database backup, i'll get all sap configuration in that fresh new sap system ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Purushottam,

You should perform the installation using, system copy --> target system installation --> use backup restore method.

You will be prompted to restore your database during this installation. At this point you need to restore your production db at DR site and continue with installation.

Once finished, as SIddhesh rightly said you should start your db in stand by mode and configure the log shifting from primary to DR.

Yes all the RFC,user and data will come to DR side within your database only.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Anand Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anand,

Thank you for your reply.

It means no need to take the system export from PR server only need to take backup from brtools and to install the fresh system at DR site i should select the system copy option --> target system installation --> backup restore method ?

Correct with this my system will be ready to use from DR site?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Could you refer the SCN link

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Purushottm,

System copy with backup restore method will create exact replica of your production system from the point backup taken.

Export Import method is normally used for heterogeneous system copy(i.e target OS or DB is different than source OS or DB).

Regards,

Anand Patel

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Purushottam,

As I mentioned earlier, you will probably need to backup and restore your DB and start it in Standby Mode, it will not be ready to use as the DB will be in standby mode. However, you can keep shipping the logs over to the DR site to keep your standby DB updated.

In the event of a DB crash on primary, your standby db can be started as primary db and then it would be usable.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank for such a great help guys

Now i have took the backup of primary server now i wanted to setup a BW 7.02 system so which SWPM i should use ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Now I have copied the primary server backup to my secondary server.

But when I'm trying to restore I'm getting the below error:

BR0401I BRRESTORE 7.20 (31)

BR0405I Start of file restores: reqbcuze. rsb 2015-03-14 01.00.22

BR0252E Function fopen () failed for '/oracle/MBP/sapbackup/reqbcuze. rsb' at location main-6

BR0253E errno 13: Permission denied

BR0121E Processing of log file /oracle/MBP/sapbackup/reqbcuze.rsb failed

BR0406I End of file restore: reqbcuze.rsb 2015-03-14 01.00.22

BR0280I BRRESTORE time stamp: 2015-03-14 01.00.22

BR0404I BRRESTORE terminated with errors

bash-4.2$ cat /oracle/MBP/sapbackup/reqbcuze.rsb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You need to check the o/s permissions:

ls -ld /oracle

ls -ld /oracle/MBP

ls -ld /oracle/MBP/sapbackup

As user orambp, perform a "touch DELME" in directory /oracle/MBP/sapbackup.

Post the output of the above.

You need to have 755 on /oracle/MBP/sapbackup.

Amerjit

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Purshottam,

You should close this thread as answered and open a new thread to track new problems.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

And the solution was ?

Answers (0)