cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Mobile Basics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

i'm testing with windows mobile devices but i do not quite understand some settings.

- I can define a Channel in the Enrollment. Is this channel applied only once when device enrolled or is it applied every time the schedule synchronize the device to server.

I would like to built a first run configuration where set time, registry keys.

- How are the policy applied. I have built one with custom xml to uninstall an application. I've done couple of test but i could only run this policy once.

Are the policy working in the same way like on wp or ios where it's only applied once and when settings are changed.

In order to update to update my application i need to uninstall it before because otherwise the application is installed twice. Is there maybe a convenient way to set up this update process.

- I tried to use the option "Auto-sync when cradled – set whether to perform active sync when the device is cradled"

When i sync device when it cradled i get the message the the communication to server is disturbed. When i take it off the cradle afaria start synchronization.

- I'm trying to set some registry keys but they are not set. When i use RegEditor i have to unlock the registry. Do i need to unlock it some way before i set registry via afaria?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member207653
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I presume you are testing with Afaria 7 and Windows Mobile 6.x.

Set Client Time is not supported on Windows Mobile ( http://help.sap.com/Download/Multimedia/zip-afaria/SP5_Configuring.pdf ).

Apply all service packs and hot fixes before continuing your tests.

The default channel or channel set that you specify in the enrolment policy is optional and executed every time a device connects to Afaria server. However, you might want to move your devices to different groups when the channel is run successfully the very first time to avoid it is executed again..

You can uninstall applications from Windows Mobile devices using XML files but this is a Microsoft functionality as you can read here Uninstalling Applications using XML. Afaria just deploys the file to the device. If you do not see the expected behaviour I would investigate from operating system point of view.

When the device is cradle, is ActiveSync working fine and you can browse Internet/Intranet? Is ActiveSync installed on the same Afaria Server machine? It could be a port conflict. check XComms.exe (Afaria Server communication) and wcescomm.exe (activesync) port numbers.

I am not aware of registry key locking unless enforced by a third party app or carrier. Have you tested on different devices?

Thank you,

Mirco

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Michael,

Mirco has answered most of your questions I see, but as for the registry keys, if you have to unlock it then we probably cannot access this. If accessing the registry causes a pop up response, I would expect it to fail.  We do test on a number of devices here.  What is the device type? It does sound as if a third party app or carrier may have set that for you.  Most devices just allow access.

Tracy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

the device type is

Manufacturer:Motorola
Model:MC95

we only have this devices. So i wanted to make sure i haven't done anything wrong in the event for setting registry keys.

Uninstall Application using XML works fine but only once. As soon as i have uninstalled and installed my App i can't repeat this steps. First i had only one device for testing but my second one shows same behavior.

The difference to the install is that uninstall is deployed via policy, so i thought it might be the same like for iOS or Windwos Phone that Policy is only applied or deployed once as long as there are no changes.