cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP system over MS SQL Failover Cluster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I´m with big doubts regarding the SAP installation that we want to perform!

We want to install a SAP system (ERP) in one application server/host (message server) and the database of this SAP system in other host (Database server) configured with MS SQL Failover Cluster.

It´s possible to do that? Because I want to perform a SAP distributed installation but the database is in MS SQL Failover Cluster... so my question is what is the installation option that I must choose in Software Provisioning Manager?

Best regards,

samid raif

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

mamartins
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

The scenario described by Samid is valid, and there is no need to mix the 2 SWPM installation methods. You should use only the "Distributed Installation" method.

I think that you biggest concern was related to the fact that on a SQL Server AlwaysON Availability Group, there is no shared volumes and in case of failover how SAP folders will be replicated, right?

I just finished a lab to probe that there is no SAP folders/files installed by SWPM on the SQL Server nodes. Please see my document here:

Regards,

M

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hamid,

Why would you do such a configuration ? The reason I think ASCS (or SCS) is included in the cluster is to ensure that when your DB fails over to secondary node, your message server and enqueue information fails over too, to maintain consistency, since although at higher level the cluster name maybe used for db connection. I doubt that at operating system call level cluster name/groups may not be used, all files are treated as file handle numbers at operating system level.

I would suggest you raise this to SAP via OSS and ask them for advice.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samid

Yes, You can install the CI, DI & DB in all three different systems

1. CI & DB - you can refer the SAP distributed  installation guide. During the SAP installation DB you have to select the Cluster Virtual name.

2. DI normal additional application server installation steps

In our environment we have do it all Dev & Qty system single DB in the cluster.

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Yuksel Akcinar and Sriram,

I believe that I didn't explained well what are my doubts and goals.

This is the Intended Cenario:

SAP Distributed installation, with 1 CI and 2 APP Virtual machines running on a VMware Cluster with HA.

The CI instance VM should replicate do DR Site.

The System should connect to a SQL Server Cluster Instance and the database is replicated do DR Site using SQL AlwaysOn.

The challenge/goal is to not install none SAP component in the Cluster Nodes, because it will not be replicated to DR.

So, what we want to do is equivalent a Standalone Installation but running over a remote SQL Server.

BR,

samid raif

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samid

1.  First do the installation of SAP distributed system along with DB cluster in the Primary site.

2.  Setup the DR system with restore the primary site DB and then perform the system copy with different host name with same SAP SID in the private environment.

3.  Shutdown the SAP instance in DR & Do the MS Sql 2012 Alwayson configurations.

4. If your are having Cisco GSS you can play the dns rerouting from primary to DR site

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

But it´s possible to install the ASCS and the ERS outside the cluster?

BR,

samd raif

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. Are you going to install the SAP system on Distributed or Cluster environment?

2. If it is Cluster environment in which OS / DB ?

3. If you are install the SAP on distributed system both services are installed on standalone

4. Kindly read the installation guide of SAP on Distributed and Cluster systems. I think still you are confused you can refer the SAP link - http://service.sap.com/guidefinder  - Select the OS / DB & SAP version.

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

1. In Cluster environment, but I only want to have in Cluster hosts the database instance, this is, I don´t want to have SAP instances (ASCS, ERS, CI, DI, etc) in that Cluster hosts, only the database (SQL Server). It´s possible? Because in the Software Provisioning Manager - Installation Guide, the scenarios that is cover in there, doesn't show any scenario that fits with our goal! We don´t want to install those SAP instances (ASCS, ERS, CI, DI, etc) in cluster environment, only want the database instance!

2. OS - Windows Server 2012 (R2) ; DB - MS SQL Server 2012

4. I already read those guides!... as I mentioned above I don´t see any scenario in installation guide that fits with my intended solution!

Kind regards,

samid raif

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samid

Yes, You can install the SAP DB on Windows MSCS and SAP normal distributed system.

Kindly follow the steps

1. Install the Windows OS with latest service pack on both nodes and configure the Windows MSCS environment.

2. Install MS Sql 2012 on Windows MSCS create the virtual name of the DB group-

3. Start the SAP installation using SWPM. Select the SAP distributed system.

In the distributed system. SAP Global host preparation, DB &  CI instance

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sriram,

Sorry Sriram... I will insist in this doubt, because I think that you didn´t understand or maybe it´s me... I need some help to understand what you wanted to said.

I already done a bunch of SAP installations (central and distributed installations) but I never done a HA installation (in a cluster environment) and because of that I´m not sure that distributed installation/method is in fact the solution for this type of environment that I want to implement!

As I said before I want to install a SAP system in a Cluster environment, but I only want install in the cluster hosts (SQL Server database with two nodes) the database instance! I mean... I don´t want to have any SAP instances installed in that cluster hosts (ASCS, ERS, CI, DI, etc).

When I choose the distributed installation and I select the "Database Instance" phase, I must run that in which host/node?! Because I have two nodes (two hosts) in the cluster server!

Best regards,

samid raif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samid,

Hope my understanding is correct as i came across the similar setup. Please confirm whether my understanding is correct before proceeding to the solution.

The MS SQL server Database alone has to be installed in Cluster however the SAP Instances (ASCS, CI and DI) in distributed environment.

Please confirm so that i will provide the option to select in SWPM.

Regards,

Raja. G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raja,

I believe you are right. I only want to install in those two servers (two nodes - cluster environment) the MS SQL Server database. The problem is, as I mentioned, I already done several distributed installations in the past and I know that option always install/load some files in database server (when you run/perform the phase "Database Instance"). For example, bellow I will post an image of other installation that I performed some weeks ago (Distributed Installation - Database Instance phase) and as you can see the SWPM asked for the installation drive, where I want to load some SAP files:

[Images removed by moderator]

As you can see the SWPM (in the "database instance" phase) asked many things related with SAP and of course this will cause what I don´t want in this new implementation/project, the loading of some SAP files in the database hosts!

Any tips?

Best regards,

samid raif

Message was edited by: Moshe Naveh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samid,

Am not sure about the option which you went through in SWPM.

For Cluster Datbase Instance: Use High Availability -> Database instance

For ASCS, CI and DI: Use Distributed -> for rest of the installations.

Hope SAP things will be requested during database instnace installation even /usr/sap/<SID> folders will get it created in the Database instance as well however i dont have the system to check right now.

Regards,

Raja. G

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samid ,

Just curious why you need such a configuration . It cannot be called  HA solution . It looks like a HA DB alone situation

And what is the issue if  small SCS and ERS also runs in the same cluster setup?

Sure you can do this but not sure you can do this with SAP SWPM .

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raja,

I don´t think if that is a valid solution because I´m not sure if I can mix two installation methods, the "Distributed Installation" option for some things and the "High Availability" option for other things! I never did anything like that, and I always thought it would not be possible!

That´s possible!?

Kind regards,

samid raif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samid,

It is possible and performed the same.

It is running perfectly as client is running all the databases in HA however they dont want to run the SAP application in cluster so we went for distributed.

The system went go live and users are still using it without any issues.

Maybe try it in sandbox and confirm before proceeding with actual landscape.

Still am not sure about why this kind of setup is followed in your client as well.

Regards,

Raja. G

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello samid,

Yes, of course it's possible.

You have to choose the "High Availability" option for the phase "Database Instance" in the database server (with the Microsoft Failover Cluster), and choose the "Distributed Installation" option for the all the other phases "ASCS Instance" and "Primary Application Server Instance" in the application server (where you want to install the SAP instances).

Best regards,

João Dimas

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Samid,

Of course it is possible to install SAP system on MS Failover Cluster. And I advise you to install your production system on a cluster /High Available) system.

You need to follow the Guide "INSTALLING SAP SYSTEMS BASED ON SAP NETWEAVER 7.1 AND HIGHER - USING SOFTWARE PROVISIONING MANAGER 1...."

And in this guide follow planning, preperation, Installation and Post Installation sections in order.

The information about failover cluster is in section "8 High Availability with Microsoft Failover Clustering".

Below figure is taken from the mentioned guide. You can built up your system like this. DB runs on one node and SAP MS runs on another node of the cluster.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR