cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI 7.40 UI Landscape Format and BEx Analyzer (RRMX)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am running into an issue specific to launching BEx Analyzer (t-code RRMX) while developing a SAP GUI 7.40 PL1 installation package.  The package I have created includes the BI 7.0 Addon For SAP GUI 7.40 (BI740SP01_100-20012040.exe), which appears to be the latest version at the time of this writing. UI Landscape mode is enabled for this package as I have included the “Install SAP GUI Desktop Icon/Shortcuts eventhough NWBC is installed” component.  In addition, I have successfully gone through the process of migrating our saplogon.ini file into SAPUILandscape.xml and SAPUILandscapeGlobal.xml.

The problem that occurs with the Landscape mode being enabled in SAP GUI 7.40 is that after a user logs into one of our environments successfully, they try to run the RRMX t-code to initialize the BEx Analyzer, and after Excel launches, a "RFC_Error Communication" message comes up saying the service sapms<SID> is unknown.

Now I realize that I can manually update the services file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder with an entry like sapms<SID> 36##/tcp, or even add the port using a post installation script.  I have done that and verified that this indeed fixes the issue.

Here’s what I don’t understand and am hoping someone can clarify….  We are using message server load balancing with a group. With our previous SAP GUI 7.30 PL8 package, we did not have to manually add any sapms<SID> entries into the services file and BEx analyzer worked perfectly fine when users ran RRMX.  The same is true if I turn off the landscape mode for SAP GUI 7.40 PL1 and use our saplogon.ini file instead.  BEx Analyzer works perfectly fine in that scenario.  I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that problem is specifically related to the UI Landscape format.  I have looked through the SAPUILandscape.xml file and see both the message server host name and port under the <Messageservers> section of the xml, so it’s not like the port information is missing or didn’t carry over when the saplogon.ini was converted to xml.

Has anybody else seen this behavior with the UI Landscape mode enabled and launching BEx Analyzer?  If so, is there a way to make this work without having to manually create or script the creation of sapms<SID> entries in the Windows services file while still keeping the UI Landscape format enabled?

Thanks,

Josh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

The UI Landscape format is activated when NWBC 5.0 is included with the package creation.  That component inclusion with the SAP GUI 7.40 client has caused issues.  I have seen a lot  postings where this is selected without knowing the prerequisites.

Cheers,

Dan Mead

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

I actually need to include NWBC 5.0 with the installation package as we plan on using it.  I had also read that SAP GUI 7.40 would be the last version to use INI's and all future versions will be using the XML files only.  For that reason, I wanted to work through issues like I described above sooner rather than later.  Plus, having one set of XML configuration files for both SAP GUI and NWBC would be pretty nice to have.

On a side note, as I have been testing, I've found that you can quickly switch the Landscape mode on and off by setting LandscapeFormatEnabled to 0 (disabled) or 1 (enabled) in the  Windows registry at [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP\SAPLogon] regardless of the components that are included in the installation package.

Thanks,

Josh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

We backed away from incorporating that feature.  Couldn't get stake holders to approve it.

Check out SAP Note 2107181 - SAP Logon (Pad) 7.40: Collective note regarding SAP UI Landscape format.  Hope it helps some.

Cheers,

Dan Mead

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for that note number!  I had not run into the collective UI Landscape note before.  I don't see anything in there in particular to what I'm chasing down unfortunately, but it's still definitely a great reference point.

Former Member

No problem.  Pulled up a couple other useful links:

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BI/Checking+Tx+RRMX+SAP+GUI+730+and+740

•In case of a scenario that includes access from external clients to which the server names are unknown, the parameter ANA_RRMXP_HOST (described in note 1291645) wouldn’t be enough for establishing the connection. In that case please also implement the note 1548170, additionally specifying the parameter ANA_RRMXP_GUIHOST as described in that note.

Specific Issues with RRMXP
•When there are multiple application servers that are load balanced, load balancer selects an available server at any point of time. Based on the active server, RRMX has to make connection. Please apply the correction of the note 1721965
•Please apply the correction of the note 1499983
•Please check the setting required for the automatic connection/logon 1646433
•There is 2 method to use the iview (BSP/Transaction RRMXP) to launch the workbook, The 2 methos are described in the note 1646028
•If SAPGUI window is not hidden after BExAnalyzer is started via RRMXP or Portal and has to be closed manually, then consider note 1499568
•The connection transfer to the BExAnalyzer fails because the host can only be accessed using the fully qualified hostname. please consider note 1291645 and maintain parameter ANA_RRMXP_HOST
•When launching BExAnalyzer via transaction RRMXP the started Excel process does not exit when Analyzer is closed. It is still visible in the task manager. In addition an error message that macros can contain viruses may appear when closing BExAnalyzer. Please consider note 1278220 (SAPKW70021)

SAP Note 1807477 - BEx Analyzer: RRMX does not establish a backend connection

Cheers,

Dan Mead