cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VxFS is still unsupported with SQLA 12 and/or 16

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could you please help me to know if VxFS is still unsupported with SQLA 12 and/or 16

Thanks

PrashantJ

Message was edited by: Jeff Albion - Adjusted title to reflect question / SQLA

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

All of our I/O requirements are specified in our SQL Anywhere I/O Requirements whitepaper - SQL Anywhere is generally file system agnostic and can be stored on a wide variety of media devices (SAN, NAS, etc.).

The basic requirements are that the database servers require write-ordering and write-through support. Any writes should be backed by a battery-powered memory cache if not being written out immediately.

If you're running RedHat Linux, there is also a known issue with direct I/O on some kernel versions - see:

• KBA 2078125 - SQL Anywhere 11, 12 or 16 performance on Linux is slow or degraded - Error: "Direct IO disabled for file because transparent hugepage support is enabled and madvise is not supported"

If you're "virtualizing" any part of the I/O subsystem, see SAP's general support statement for virtualized environments in KBA 1492000. As long as it's transparent to the host operating system, we will support it.

Regards,

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for details . VxFS (Veritas File System).  I missed that word and sorry for that .

Could you Please let me know is this supported by Sybase 16  anywhere ?

Thanks

Prashant J

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

We don't have explicit file system type support in SQL Anywhere, but yes VxFS is "supported" - we have other customers who can run on this file system type successfully.

As I mentioned above, we are generally file system/device agnostic. On UNIX / Linux, we will try to open files for write using the O_DIRECT flag for direct I/O operations against the file, but this may not be supported by all file system types. If this happens and O_DIRECT isn't supported, you will see the message:

Direct IO disabled for file '%1' because the file system on which it resides does not support it.

Regards,

Jeff Albion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for details you provided , Do you have any specific suporting  doc which talking about

VXFS veritas file system for sybase 16 DB?

Thanks

Prashant J

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

HI Prashant,

Do you have any specific suporting  doc which talking about VXFS veritas file system

No, not specifically since we state support for SQL Anywhere in terms of the operating system as a whole rather than the specific file systems that can be used with the operating system. See our Supported Platforms page:

SQL Anywhere uses standard file POSIX calls on Linux / UNIX, so again, the underlying file system type just needs to support our file semantics (write-through and write-ordering).

Regards,

Jeff Albion

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you mean VSS by any chance?

SQL Anywhere Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

The only VFS I know of in a SQLA content is the file system for Palm devices.

Thanks

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

so not VSS then.. could you give more information about what you mean by 'Virtual File System'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry its VxFS (Veritas File System).

Thanks

Prashant J

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, I'll bite... what's VFS? ...some kind of virtual file system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Carter , VxFS (Veritas File System).  (edited)

Is this  unsupported with ASA 12 and/or 16 ?

thanks

Prashant J