Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create .rh file with Material ID metadata using SAP VE Author

abhishek_gupta2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi There ,

I want to create an .rh file with material ID metadata using SAP VE author .

what are the steps to create one . Do I need to take a cad file of any other format ( say Catia ) and then do some manipulations to convert it to .RH file and maintain some material ID metadata ?

Kindly let me know your inputs .

Thanks ,

Abhishek.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Normal workflow would be to create your rh files by processing the  CAD data from SAP ERP using SAP Visual Enterprise Generator. This would ensure that your rh files contain correct material IDs (the material IDs associated with DMS documents that contain the source CAD data).

Adding material IDs manually in VEA to an rh file is not the standard approach, so a file generated in this way would have limitations in terms on how it can be used by other downstream tools. Maybe you could clarify a bit more for what purpose do you want to use the RH file that has manually added material IDs?

Thanks,

Marko

abhishek_gupta2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Marko ,

Thank you very much for your reply . We are trying to show a demo scenario to our clients using SAP 3D VE tools . ( Planner & Author )

The idea was to create a .RH file with material ID in VE author . Then create the material ID in the SAP ERP . Then create a planning scope using VMP_MAINTAIN in SAP ERP and then finally open the .rh file in the VE planner .

Since being new to this idea , my approach can be wrong . Kindly help me with the correct approach .

Thanks ,

Abhishek.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

I think your approach would work for a demo. You can try the following:

1) Open the rh file in VE Author

2) Double-click on the object you want to assign the material to in the scene tree - object properties dialog should open up

3) Select the Metadata tab and press the green cross button on the tab's toolbar (Add New Category)

4) New Category Name pop-up opens, here enter:SAP and press ok

5) In the Metadata tab select the newly created SAP category

6) With SAP category selected click on the right-most button on the toolbar(Add New Key)

7) New Key Name pop-up opens, here enter:MATERIAL and press ok

😎 MATERIAL key should have been created, now click in the edit box on the right from the key name and enter your material number

9) Repeat for each object of interest in the scene and ensure that assigned materials are consistent throughout the hierarchy

In the end, your metadata properties should look like the attached picture.

P.S. Please let me know if the Planner does not recognize metadata created in this way and we can try a different (more involved) approach.

Regards,

Marko

Answers (0)