cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting remotely over the internet

Former Member
0 Kudos

At my house I have a SQL Anywhere 11 server running on a PC that is wired into my cable modem/router/wifi box. I went into the router admin and forwarded the SQL Anywhere port to the PC. I then tried to connect from work using the IP address of the internet connection. It doesn't connect. I have had luck connecting via Remote Desktop using the same IP address so wrong IP address isn't my issue.

If you have any tips on getting this working, please share.

Thanks,

Roland

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ali_Chalhoub
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

On top of what Jeff provided, in order to connect from outside to your SQL Anywhere Engine, you need to add to your connection string the following tcpip parameter which says DoBroadcast=NONE

Example

dbisql -c "UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=mydbenginename;DBN=databasename;CommLinks=tcpip{host=ip_address;port=port_number;DoBroadcast=NONE}"

This will allow it to go through.

Thank you,

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using the Test Connection button on the ODBC profile window and getting this error:

Connection failed: Database server not found

The computer the server is running on has firewall turned off.

Here is my ODBC profile:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\WizSourceServerRemote]

"Driver"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\SQLANY~1\\Bin32\\dbodbc11.dll"

"UserID"="dba"

"Password"="sql"

"ServerName"="WizSource11"

"AutoStop"="YES"

"Integrated"="NO"

"CommLinks"="TCPIP{HOST=xxx.xx.xxx.xx;PORT=2638;DoBroadcast=NONE}"

"Compress"="NO"

"Debug"="NO"

"DisableMultiRowFetch"="NO"

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

We have an FAQ posted here: I'm having trouble connecting to a SQL Anywhere server. How can I fix this? - SQLA Forum with some common tips on how to fix connectivity issues and some troubleshooting steps.

You will likely want to add a "LogFile"="c:\path\to\file.txt" to the ODBC DSN information:

and add "-z -o console.txt" to the dbsrv11 start-up line to see more about the TCP listeners that are started.

Feel free to post the contents back (after obfuscating sensitive information like IP addresses) here and we can help debug the problem further.

Regards,

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

Do you have the default Windows Firewall enabled on the machine running SQL Anywhere? If so, it will block the SQL Anywhere port by default and your router port forward would possibly be forwarding to a locally blocked port. (Aside: When enabling Remote Desktop, Windows typically creates a default rule to allow the traffic through the firewall so that is likely why your Remote Desktop session is working).

Try either enabling a rule for the database server executable to allow incoming and outgoing traffic on that port inside Windows Firewall, or just try disabling the firewall entirely and try the TCP/IP connection again.

Regards,

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support