cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install of Central instance on Oracle DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have already installed Oracle Database. Now we want to install SAP Central Instance and use the existing Oracle Database.

Can you kindly advice, how can we specify at the time of Database instance install, that a new Oracle database should not be installed and that existing Oracle database should be used?

Regards,

Dasari

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dasar,

What is the use of SAP central instance?

Thanks in advance.

Sakti

0 Kudos

Hi Dasari.

During the SWPM instalation phase 'Database Identification' you have to specify the SID of the existing Database. I am attaching a scrennshot of the corresponding phase. In the last line of 'Additional Information' you can see the reference.

That's all.

Regards,

János

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello RB,

Yes, you are right. I need to do a system copy, for CI to use an existing Oracle Database. Kindly note, we have to use SAP Hana as secondary database.

The certified vendor install SAP HANA as secondary database.

How can I tell Central Instance install or System Copy to use SAP Hana as secondary Database?

Regards,

Dasari

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Dasari,

I am not sure if you can do that, but I am new to SAP Hana, so I'll watch this topic and see what others say, good luck.

Regards,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos

Hi Dasari,

now I understand. You want to build up a sandbox system to test SAP Hana.

You just do a normal SAP System Copy of your productive System. No need to take care of the SAP Hana Database at this stage.

So if you have your database up and running, you use Software Lifecyle Option -> System Copy -> Target System to install the CI.

After the Installation is done you connect the SAP Hana Database via dbacockpit. ( Transaction dbacockpit ) There you will find the Button ADD and can define the SAP Hana Database - or via DBCON.

Please also check the following blog:

http://scn.sap.com/community/hana-in-memory/blog/2012/04/11/test

and this note:

1614438 <- Ask for access to this note , internal at the moment

Kind regards,

Rainer

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You need to first set up the SAP system with the primary database which is the Oracle database. To use the existing database follow the Homogeneous System Copy for creating the target system using backup and restore method. If you follow this method the installer will stop at a phase and prompts you to restore the database backup. You will restore the database backup to the database and continue with the target system creation. Once the target system is setup you will be able to create a secondary DB connection to HANA database.

Cheers

RB

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I assume that by existing Database you mean existing Databases software installation and not the DB itself ?

If you are talking about installing a new SAP instances on top of an existing SAP Instance ( to me it sounds like MCOD ) , search for MCOD on scn network, you should find a wiki page/blog explaining the same.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

You said "If you have installed the DB as per SAP's recommendation then during the CI installation of SAP you have to provide the DB name as your database".

I am installing central instance, but I cannot find the option of specifying the DB name for my EXISTING database. Can u kindly advice, the following

1- which option I should select for installing central instance (Target system or Source system or Fresh install)

2- Which step, will it ask the database name.

3- Which part of the master guide contains the information of installing CENTRAL INSTANCE ON EXISTING ORACLE DATABASE.

Thanks,

Dasari

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dasari

In which OS are you going to install the SAP Instance? Could you share in detail?

BR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BR,

The OS is AIX

Thanks,

Dasari

former_member204080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is SID of existing database .Are you installing CI with same SID

If you use Distributed installation i guess you should be able to do this

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

I am doing a distributed installation. I have the following 2 questions, as seen below.

1- Can I give the same SID to CI, as given to the existing DB?

2- During install, where can I specify the CI to use the existing Oracle DB?

Thanks,

Dasari

0 Kudos

Hi Dasari,

I think you are little bit confused.

1- Yes you can and should use the same SID for Database and Central Instance

2 -

• 1- which option I should select for installing central instance (Target system or Source system or Fresh install)
  • 2- Which step, will it ask the database name.
  • 3- Which part of the master guide contains the information of installing CENTRAL INSTANCE ON EXISTING ORACLE DATABASE.

2.1 - Depends on what you want to do. Target and Source System is used for a system copy. Where comes the DB from? As I understand you have a Database and just want connect a CI to it? Which NW Stack did you use to install the DB?

2.2 - it is clearly defined in the step if you use the distributed installation under ( for a new installation! 😞

Prodcut -> Database -> SAP System -> Application Server -> System Variant

I have the feeling you are looking under Software Lifecycle Options

2.3. Check: service.sap.com/instguides. On the left pane choose SAP Netweaver. It opens a lot of Variants. In the Middle of the screen you get the Main Releases. For Example choose SAP Netweaver 7.4

At the very top you get Installtion in red and under that: plan and install: https://service.sap.com/~form/handler?_APP=00200682500000002672&_EVENT=DISPLAY&_SCENARIO=&_HIER_KEY=...

Scroll down, there you will find the installion guide. Point 2 - Installation SAP NetWeaver Systems. Expand and look for Installation: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and Higher.

Now look for your Database and your OS Version ( AIX )

Kind regards,

Rainer

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

What exactly do you mean by existing database?

Is it a database with SAP data (Schema with ABAP components) present or just the Oracle database software installation?

If you want to perform a distributed installation have you checked the installation guide for the distributed installation? The DBSID and SAPSID requirements are provided in the installation guide. If you are planning to set up the CI with a copy of the database then you should follow the system copy.

Cheers

RB

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dasari

1.  On the same DB installed system or it is a distributed system?

2. On the existing DB system it should install the SAP instance. you have to start the SAP installations by using SWPM based on you SAP version. before starting the installation better read the installation Master guide

you can find the installation master guide http://service.sap.com/guidefinder  - Select OS / DB & SAP version.

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

you have to use the SAP specific installation file for oracle database installation for SAP. Please go through the installation guide which has the installation steps for DB.

If you have installed the DB as per SAP's recommendation then during the CI installation of SAP you have to provide the DB name as your database.