cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM tool is not starting for EHP7 upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have recently upgraded OS from 2003 to 2008 R2 which has ERP 6.0 EhP3 business suite.

Later i have upgraded Oracle from 10.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.5 (required for 11g upgrade), after this i have upgraded to 11.2.0.5 successfully.

My system is up and running fine.

Now i ready to upgrade to EhP7, i have gathered all requirements from Solution manager and downloaded all patches with xml file to into my ERP system.

Updated Java env (JAVA_HOME and PATH). Checked java -version (1.7)

Downloaded latest SUM 12 patch 5 from SMP, extracted to \usr\sap\<SID>\SUM\.....

From here when i want to start STARTUP.BAT (right-click "Run as administrator) the pop-up disappears and no DSGui will come afterwards.

After, i even checked the URL (http://<hostname>:4239) but no page displayed.

I have checked the ports 4239 and 4241 are free.

I have run it from cmd / Poweshell as well but no luck. I have full administrator rights.

Can you please help me out to start the SUM tool.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

The SUM tool is not running issue has been resolved.

Nice to hear your issue has been resolved now.Kindly share the solution with all of us & close the thread.

For new issue best would be to open new discussions.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Fine. The issue has resolved by myself after comparing with other system by simply starting the "Windows Management Instrumentation" service.

I have started the service from service.msc.Now i am able to start upgrade with SP12 patch level 9.

I will open a new thread for the new discussions.

Thank you all for your prompt reply and hope the same for our future questionnaire.

Regards,

Praveen

Answers (13)

Answers (13)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The SUM tool is not running issue has been resolved.

Now i am getting some other issue as SUM is not displaying ABAP tab, it is only displays Monitor, Java tabs.

My system is dual stack (abap+java) system.

I have placed the MOpz generated stack.xml file and opened it, showing all abap related SP information and for Java only igs_xxx.SAR is showing.

Can anyone help me on this.

Thanks,

Praveen

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

For now i would not suggest you to migrate on other OS with same version

For trial/test purpose could you execute the SUM tool on some other OS / System,as it could be an issue with OS  as well & share the results.

It was just a trial to find out the base of issue.Now for issue rectifications we need to search out only at faulty one's on which SAP is already running.

For this could you confirm me

1.UAC settings  -- Try to disable as well as firewall settings and exceptions

2.Java versions on the correct one as well as on the faulty.

3.IE version on both the OS

4.Support pack level of both OS (on which SUM executed without any issue & for faulty one)

Regards,

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

For trial/test purpose could you execute the SUM tool on some other OS / System,as it could be an issue with OS  as well & share the results.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Downloaded the latest SUM SP12 Patch 6 i have extracted in another system and it is running fine.

I suspect this problem is due to OS upgrade done from 2003 to 2008 R2. The .bat is not recognizing by the system.

Are there any post-upgrade activities to be done ?

Please update.

Thanks,

Praveen

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suspect this problem is due to OS upgrade done from 2003 to 2008 R2.

Oh Great !! If same is working on other host,than we can say it's our first finding for the issue on system with Windows 2008 R2.Could you share event viewer logs from the faulty one or try to reinstall OS if possible & re execute SUM .

Regards,

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I doubt it would be a problem with the OS, I think it could be a problem with SUM itself as you started with SUM SP12 patch 5 and now you are trying SUM SP12 patch 6.

Try the old SUM SP12 patch 5 on this new test box , assuming your new test box is on the same version of Windows as your original server which had the issue.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried with patch 5 it is not working, so i have downloaded patch 6 and tried.

Both are not working. There is no other test system which upgraded from 2003 to 2008 R2.

On a fresh installed 2008 R2, the startup.bat is running fine without any issues.

It is not meaning of patch 5 or 6, the problem is .bat is not executing....

Please give me suggestions on this only, rather than to try in a test system/latest tool etc.,

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just checked again by re-executing SUM on the same OS.

But there no logs generated in the event viewer.

How i can re-install OS where the SAP is up and running fine.

1. Take a system copy and re-install OS and SAP.

2. Database backup, re-install OS, restore the database ?

Regards,

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

Finial try, 1. On upgraded the OS just do the windows update  from Microsoft site and then check the same.

2. Since you are already raise the support indent, wait for SAP reply.

BR

SS

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If I were you, I wouldn't try to disturb the existing environment, I would migrate/copy the system to a new host with a freshly installed OS (Win 2008) as I am not sure what else could be faulty with the upgraded OS.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

>>I have recently upgraded OS from 2003 to 2008 R2 which has ERP 6.0 EhP3 business suite.<<

I am wondering what made you do an in-place upgrade of Windows as it is not supported.

Are you following the SUM guide for starting the SUM tool? Have you tried starting the tool using the STARTUP.BAT from the command prompt as suggested in the guide?

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

I am following SUM guide only to start STARTUP.BAT from command prompt.

Win 2008 R2 supported by SAP, i have already checked in http://service.sap.com/pam.

After upgrade of OS, SAP is up and running fine without any issues.

Can you please re-check from your end.

Regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

Before starting the SAP upgrade, Just apply the latest service pack of Windows 2008 R2

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sri,

Already Service pack 1 has installed. The issue is STARTUP.BAT is not running.

Regards,

Praveen

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

Have you download the SUM tool once again from SMP and then try.

BR

SS

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

From the link download the SUM upgrade tool (Not for DMO of SUM) and then try the same.

https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=00200682500000002672&_EVENT=DISPLAY&_SCENARIO=0110003...

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sri,

I have downloaded and tested the same but still not working.

Yes i know DMO not required.

Regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Better you can raise the support indent to SAP, they may guide you.

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks, it is in process with SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Till now SAP has not logged in and am waiting for the inputs.

Meanwhile can any one please suggest on this.

Regards.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

Where you are copied the sum extracted files? it should be on \usr\sap\SUM folder and then start the sum tool.

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sri,

I have extracted SUM tool \usr\sap\<SID>\SUM but not running.

It is not related to path we can run SUM from any location.

Regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. After getting the error you can't find the any error log file in the sum folder and Windows Event viewer?

2. Sum folder you can search "Log" folder and check any error message?

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

When i execute startup.bat with "Run as Admin" the cmd prompt is disappear.

So no log is creating, checked the Event viewer also but not found anything related to.

BR

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. You have to start the SUM using SIDADM user id (Not on admin command prompt), on windows local administrator group you have to add both SAP user id's (SIDADM & SAPServiceSID).

2. For your SAP indent you can call your local SAP support to speed up the process.

BR

SS

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen ,

When you run the cmd also run as administrator.

use cmd using windows - cmd . right click and run as administrator

also syntax is

STARTUP.BAT "hostname = sitaeccafs"

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I am running as administrator only....Manu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Check for the logs at below shown location.

Best Regards,

Sandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sandeep,

When the SUM executes then the log file will be created.

Just now I have checked again by executing startup.bat, but there is no log directory found in the path.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

It looks like the file "vcredist_x64" in SUM directory got corrupted.

Delete that file.

copy the same file "vcredist_x64" which will be present in your kernel directory to SUM and then try to start SUM

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Sandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Already tried this option but not luck and even downloaded the vcredist_x64 for win 2008 R2 and checked.

But not functioning further.

Regards

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

Download the SUM tool once again from SMP and then try.

BR

SS

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Could you try it with SAPJVM 7.1.

And i have tried with SP 12 patch 5, patch 4  and patch 3.

As you've already tested with other versions of SUM SP's,than more likely to be issue with JAVA.
Please refer SAP Notes  1442124 - How to download a SAP JVM patch from the SMP

Regards,

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After starting STARTUP.BAT

Can you start DSGui.BAT (  SUM/sdt/exe  )  from the command prompt and let us know the results

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Yes i can able to run DSGui.BAT from exe, it is opening and asking for hostname and port, but when i click logon , it is giving error. Tried with 4239 port also.

Without having started SUM DS Gui will not connect.

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen ,

Is it possible to try a restart of the server and try once again .

Also can you post the error message ? Also what  is the hostname and port you gave  on the pop up

?

Thanks,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Restarted server and tried to execute startup but same ... the cmd is disappears.

Then started DSGui.bat from command prompt by mentioning the <host> and port 4241 default

and 4239. But getting error.

Regards

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Have you checked with use of SAPJVM which i suggested you earlier,as this issues seems with java version on the system.

One more test you could perform on system by execution of link Verify Java Version

Kindly share the results by following the page .

Regards,

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

can you perform as follows

a ) stop the startup script

b)  on the cmd prompt, input the following:

STARTUP.BAT "hostname = <host name>"

c) re -run the startup.BAT

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you try starting DSUService.bat from SUM\sdt\exe\ ??

BR,

Sandeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

Already checked the same now when I try execute again it gave same error as attached.

I have logged in <sid>adm with admin authorizations.

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Could you check any warnings or error under OS event viewer,if any please share.Addition to it there may be possibilities of corruption of downloaded SUM tool you've.If possible download a fresh and check again.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

No logs generated under OS event viewer, because it is not running but just disappears.

And i have tried with SP 12 patch 5, patch 4  and patch 3.

But STARTUP.BAT is not at all running.

Regards

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Praveen,

Please check the logs under ../SUM/sdt/log/ .
You should be able to find sdt server logs here. Do you see any warning/errors there ?

Regards,
Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Can you please let us know the results when you run the STARTUP.BAT with administrator?

The startup.bat should start the SLD controller after which you should open you DSGUI.

Please check if you host agent is running and it is patched with minimum level to run SUM.

If none these works, I guess your SUM may be corrupted, try removing the old files in SUM directory and download latest SUM with download manager (and not HTTP download )

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Prithivi Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prithivi,

The STARTUP.BAT recommended to run only from <sid>adm user, not with administrator.

Just tried with admin to test, but same error.

Yes startup.bat should start SLD controller but as attached the command output jpg.

The command propmt (As Administrator) disappears after "Configuring file access to ...\SUM\.....line.

I think host agent is not required to run SUM , because i have completed SP upgrade with SUM in another system without host agent installed.

As i have downloaded all patches with Download manager only. SUM also downloaded same.

Thanks,

Praveen

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Praveen,

Does your <sid>adm have read/write access to D:\AFD_Upd directory ? This seems to be more likely a java jdk issue / permission issue.

As per the note you mentioned earlier, try using the same version of java that relevant guide asks you to (the guide that came along with your version of SUM).

Regards,

Siddhesh

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

checked the URL (http://<hostname>:4239) but no page displayed.

Could you share host file entries for the system.Also for test purpose try to execute it with use of IP instead of host name

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Host file entries have been maintained with FQDN as my system is in domain.

Thanks,

Praveen

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Have you tested by execution of IP instead of Host name of system ? Could you confirm host file entries as like :

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost

<Server IP>  <Host Name>

Addition to it kindly check no firewall or antivirus solution is in action on the system.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Yes, the entries are like same as you mentioned above,are correct.

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost

<Server IP>  <Host Name>

Firewall is disabled and no antivirus installed on this system. Windows update is already disabled in services.

Regards,
Praveen

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

1. Is this any firewall or UAC on?

2.  On your windows OS have you install any antivirus software? if it is yes, just disable the antivirus and than start the Sum tool.

Br

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Firewall is disabled and i am executing SUM with afdadm user it has full admin auth.

No anti virus siftware installed in the system.

Regards,

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

please paste the logs from <path>\SUM\sdt\log and <path>\SUM\sdt\log\SUM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

No log files created because the startup.bat is not running, it just disappears after 3 or 4 seconds.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

1. Use the JAVA version 1.4.2.17 (No on Java 1.7)

2. Are you starting the SUM using the SIDADM or administrator user id ?

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

I have checked all notes and the below note states to install JDK 6 or higher, did you checked this note ?

I have JDK 7.0 installed.

How you are saying 1.4 is required ? Do you have any information ?

1828860 - Not able to view the SUM upgrade UI

Cause

SUM tool need JAVA 6 to run , If the JAVA version is below 6 then the tool will not work.

Resolution

Need to install JDK 6 or higher version.