cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End time / start time fields in SXI_MONITOR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All ,

I know this may be a very basic question to ask but I am quite naive in SAP PI/XI so i would like to know the ideas/suggestions from the experts.

My issue is --

I created 8 files to transfer to PI/XI .

In tcode SXI_MONITOR when i try to check the XML MESSAGES , i find two fields as start time and endtime .

Now I need to know what these two fields denote ?

Does the start time field denote the starting of processing of xml file ? or it denotes the time when it reached PI/XI system because when I click

endtime field , it shows the start time as "sent time" .

Does the end time denote the time when the files reach to PI/XI ? or it denotes the time when the processing of file ended ?

On clicking the endtime of second record. (04:26:41)

Thanks,

Saddam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Saddam,

Sometimes the basis questions are not than easier that they seem at beggining. I wonder before this question and the SAP.help documentation is not enough explanatory Selecting Processed Messages - Integration Engine - SAP Library

From my experience with big messages, then you can see more easy the passing of time, these times reflect the message processing in the Integration Engine. In a dual stack installation the message arrives to PI at the java stack (Adapter Engine) later the message is deposited in AE outbound queue to be get by the ABAP stack (Integration Engine). Then, the message goes in the PI pipeline until the message is deposited to the IE outbound queue to be taken by the AE again. The start time and end time deal about the time of the messages in the IE.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vila,

Thanks for you reply .

If you could explain some other points , my doubts are --

Looking at the first snapshot , we see that start time is sequential but the end time is not sequential.

The 2nd ,3rd and 7th files are having lesser endtime whereas all the files are having same amount of data.

So How does SAP determine the timing for processing or sending the files ?

Also talking about pipeline , is it like that if multiple files are to be processed at the same time ,SAP divides them into groups and then transfers using multiple parallel pipelines ?

Thanks ,

Saddam

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Saddam,

Inside the PI ABAP engine there are multiple queues to deal with these messages, you can check the queues in the transaction SMQR, therefore the messages are processed in parallel, as the queue assignation is random it is possible that two messages go into the same queue and the second will need to wait the first ending. Then, you can have some messages with posterior End Time even the message size is the same and the Start Time is earlier.

Pay attention that these times are only applicable to the Integration Engine. This classical configuration is:

Adapter Engine --> Integration Engine  --> Adapter Engine

Then the Adapter Engine has its own delay depending the number of java threads for type of adapter and the communications available between AE and IE.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Saddam,

I think an example is better than a thousand words.  My scenario is JDBC to ABAP Proxy.

In my Sender File adapter the file is  poll at 8:59:24 but in the audit log you can notice that the message is put in the queue of the ABAP engine  at 9:00:30

In the ABAP engine you can notice that the start time is 09:00:32, the time when the Adapter Engine put the message in the outbound queue.

The last step in the above figure with 9:00:57, I have seen this 25 secs of delay has been the time when the outbound queue has started to process the message.

The 09:04:15 is when the message has been put in the ABAP engine outbound queue.

Finally in my end system you can check 09:04:48 like the end time,

Hope this helps.

Regards.