cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user sample files question

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

i just installed the personal edition of lumira and want to know if there are any tutorials that use the data that is behind the "try with samples" button in lumira?

i have watched several tutorials prior to installing the software and i didn't see any that use the sample files.

i also browsed through some of the user guide for version 1.22 and it didn't use the sample files either, so i figure that i must be missing something.

any help on how to get started learning lumira would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi - if you are asking about the tutorials here - you are right, they don't cover the sample files  - most I have seen use the Yoga sample files.

I am not aware of any formal training that use those sample files.

A good way to get familiar with using Lumira is to try using the SAP Lumira SAP Press book - see - you can buy an electronic copy, and it uses publicly available data you can get yourself to follow along.

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

thank you for your reply letting me know that the tutorials do not use the sample files that come with the software.

are you saying that the tutorials use yoga files? i searched for those files, but didn't find them. do you know where i can find them?

i'm okay with the sample files not being used in any tutorial.

i had hoped that the tutorials would "say" what files they were using so that people could follow along. watching videos about "what" can be done isn't effective for me because i can't duplicate it. does that make sense?

i had read the link you gave for a review of the lumira book. as it was based on an old version (not sure how old), i didn't know how helpful it would be.

i also looked on amazon, but the book didn't have the option to view some of the book.i don't know how people can read an ebook for software and actually use the software at the same time. i can't do it. while the book has over 500 pages, i'm not convinced that i want to spend $50 just to evaluate if i would like using the software.

i'll try learning some of the basics as best i can and maybe at some point the tutorials will be upgraded to actually include files that people, can use to follow along.

thank you

tracy

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy - I don't think SAP has made the Yoga files available. 

While the book covers the older version, I found it to be very useful with Lumira 1.22 version

I understand your concern about learning from a book/eBook - I had 2 laptops open, one with the book and the other with Lumira.

Tammy

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi tammy,

it never dawned on me that people were using 2 laptops, one for the software and the other for the ebook. while i have more than one laptop, i can't image doing that, which is why i prefer a paper book.

thank you for letting me know that the yoga files are not available for the general public and that the book is helpful with the current version.

now that i think about it, it will be difficult to have a book stay current, when it seems like another software update comes every 2-3 months.

i will see how far i can get and hope that the price of the book drops, sooner, rather than later.

thank you and have a good weekend

tracy

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi tammy,

i re-read your review of the book, what i couldn't tell is if the book has it's own practices files and if the book has step by step instructions, opposed to a narrative style, like what is in the pdf file for the book.

one reason i'm asking is because in your review, you said you were able to follow along to create something. the way it was worded made it sound like you had to use your own files, as none came with the book. i hope i'm wrong.

another reason i'm asking is because the info on amazon is scarce.and the table of contents uses the same style as the user guide, which does not have step by step instructions.

i hope that i'm not being a pain (if so, i'm sorry), but for me, $50 is a lot right now.

thank you

tracy

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy - the book does not have its own practice files but the data used is publicly available so you can find it yourself by Googling for it.

If money is an issue, you might want to wait - I've asked the authors of the tutorials at sap.com/LearnBI to see if they could make the Yoga data publicly available.

Tammy

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi tammy,

now i am really glad that i did not order that $50 book, as it doesn't even come with practice files.

i'd have to go hunt the files down online and pray that nothing about them has changed,

thank you for asking the tutorial authors about releasing the yoga files. that would be helpful because people would be able to follow along with the tutorials, which would give a better understanding.

thanks again

tracy

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

i think you're putting a little too much emphasis on this relationship between tutorials and datasets .

take a step back, appreciate the videos for the features they are showing you.

then re-use and apply this knowledge (i.e. the new  techniques you have learnt) ontop of different data.

if you yourself are creating lumira training exercises for your own audience, then it would be an advantage for you to build up your own collaterals, for your use-cases, with topics that you feel comfortable teaching .

regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi henry,

i watched several videos prior to installing the software to try and get a feel for what the software has to offer. i "hear" what you are saying about viewing tutorials, but many people don't learn that way. when you are trying to replicate something you see, using different data then the data shown in the video, it is very easy to forget something, then one would have to go back to the video, try and find the spot in the video that covers what you need. all of that back and forth is way too time consuming.

no, i have no plans on creating training exercises or teaching lumira. my goal is to compare and contrast it with other bi tools.

i have tons of spreadsheets of data. i imported some and realized that there is no way to change the formatting that i could find. for example, i wanted to add dollar signs to the data. the "display formatting" option doesn't have this feature.

on the prepare tab, i didn't see any way to do that. perhaps this can be done when you actually create a chart, but i haven't gotten that far. i'm still trying to figure out how to manipulate the data once it's brought into lumira, so to speak.

it could be me, but i get the feeling that it is best to have the data in the exact format that you need it in prior to importing it.

hope this better explains why videos aren't working for me.

thank you

tracy

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

quite a few of the tutorials / training vids use the BestRun retail dataset, which is the in-built sample.

FYI - formatting metrics with an Unit or Measure (such as a currency sign)  is a feature which I believe is due for SP23 - the next release, planned for delivery by the end of the month

regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi tammy,

thank you for asking the tutorial authors to release the files.

hopefully, at some point, they will see the benefit for people that want to follow and learn from their tutorials.

thanks again

tracy

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi henry,

thank you for letting me know that one of the same files is used for some of the tutorials.

i've seen and used the formatting options in the 1.23 release, but sadly, they did not include everything that i was hoping it would have.

tracy

Henry Banks wrote:

Hi,

quite a few of the tutorials / training vids use the BestRun retail dataset, which is the in-built sample.

FYI - formatting metrics with an Unit or Measure (such as a currency sign)  is a feature which I believe is due for SP23 - the next release, planned for delivery by the end of the month

regards,

H

Answers (0)