Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC DR setup on sybase

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Im planning to setup DR setup for ECC. Current environment is HPUX and Sybase. I have few queries to setup DR server. It would be helpful to me if some one suggest.

1. Current landscape is on cluster and is it mandatory to have my dr site as cluster or standalone installation can work?

2. I would like to know if i setup SAP sybase replication server if my primary server goes down, do i need to switch on DR server manually or switching will be done automatically?

3. As per sap note 1891560 "In a failover scenario, the SAP application connections are switched to the standby database. Transactions generated on the standby database continue to be saved by the replication server until the primary database comes back online. Once the primary database returns to service, the saved standby database transactions are released and applied to the primary host."

Will this be done automatically or any other post processing is required to switch back to primary instance like restore of DR to primary?.

4. In installation it is not mentioned about SAP instance at DR site and only mentioned about database instance installation. Do i need to install first SAP on DR site using system copy?

Please help me on this.

Regards

Mahesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

To install and configure the HADR for BS with ASE, you may want to read the SAP documentation: “ Installation Guide SAP NetWeaver ABAP on Windows: SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise”.

See Chapter 7 Disaster Recovery Setup with SAP Replication Server

To download it: go to https://support.sap.com/swdc -> click on Documentation -> Search in 'N' for SAP Netweaver -> SAP Netweaver 7.x -> Installation and Upgrade Information -> Installation Guides (click on English) -> click on Installation: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 and Higher -> select SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise

and select the OS platform.

For question 2 and 3, currently, the failover/failback are done manually using DR Agent commands.

For question 4, basically you need a SAP system at primary site (i.e your ECC) and only a database instance at standby site.

Once this is done, using SAPinst, start by installing SRS in the standby site (without configuring DR), then in the primary site, where the DR environment will be configured.

HTH

Cris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mahesh,

1. Current landscape is on cluster and is it mandatory to have my dr site as cluster or standalone installation can work?

>> It is not mandatory to have the DR system also in Cluster, You can make it standalone also.

2. I would like to know if i setup SAP sybase replication server if my primary server goes down, do i need to switch on DR server manually or switching will be done automatically?

>> Its Depend on you. Which application you are using for data replication, in that application you need to specify the action that DR Switching should be Manual or Automatic.

3. As per sap note 1891560 "In a failover scenario, the SAP application connections are switched to the standby database. Transactions generated on the standby database continue to be saved by the replication server until the primary database comes back online. Once the primary database returns to service, the saved standby database transactions are released and applied to the primary host."

Will this be done automatically or any other post processing is required to switch back to primary instance like restore of DR to primary?.

>> It also you maintained by your data replication application.

4. In installation it is not mentioned about SAP instance at DR site and only mentioned about database instance installation. Do i need to install first SAP on DR site using system copy?

>> Yes, SAP installation is required on DR server

MaheshKumar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Can some one move this thread to