cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

onine backup delay issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are taking online backup of our ECC production system on daily basis (12.00 night). (ECC+Windows+Oracle)

Usually it takes around 1.30 hrs to finish successfully.

But recently, we observed that during saturdays online backup is taking much time to complete.

Customer asking us the root cause with the evidence.

Can you please let me know, where and what to check the root cause for the backup delay.

Please suggest any SAP notes or links or if any.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Manoj.

Which tool is used to take the backup? BR*Tools, BR*Tools + RMAN, or pure RMAN?

IF BR*Tools is used, make sure the latest 7.40 version is downloaded and in place and try the backup with that. One thing is very important, BR*Tools is using OS commands to backup (copy) the files from  DB to 'stage' or external/internal media. So you should validate if the OS tools might work as expected.

Here is a checklist:

- Check correspoding backup logs and compare with earlier logs. Concentrate on single steps and compare the times spent with it. This way, you may find the reason

- Check OS logs

- Sometimes Oracle DB might be resposible for issues, therefore having latest Bundle Patch installed is a good idea

- Check for OS Bugs

Last but not least, check the size of the DB. Maybe DB grew to a much bigger size (e.g. because of unregular data loads) and so the datafiles got bigger. This is a very easy explanation. But worth a try.

Regards,

János

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Could you share brbackup log for the day when backup supposed to be in delay state.Addition to it share how you're taking backup either by DB13 or with use of brtools.Kindly confirm

Regards,

Gaurav

former_member207186
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please take into account that the runtime of the backup mainly depends on hardware (tape drives, disk, system and I/O buses), the database and the system load, the configuration and the size of DB.

Were there any changes on the system recently? Have you also checked the system log and backup logfiles? Is there any specific job running or hihger load on the system?

Please also check the SAP Notes:
842240 - "FAQ:Backup strategy of large and highly-available databases"
13994  - "Long runtimes when saving with BRBACKUP"
23234  - "Backup of large databases with BRBACKUP"

Regards,
Bíborka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Biborka,

Thanks for the explanation.

I will revert back once I gone through the above content.

BR-Manoj