cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATP versus batch determination: different layers. Can we harmonize them?

0 Kudos

Dear experts

I am from the QM area. In a few words, I have noticed that the ATP promises much in terms of availability. However later on, when preparing the delivery note, at batch determination level, there is a strong limitation as only batches with a usage decision can be selected and only those with long remaining shelf life can be allocated, and only some that match some characteristic value tolerance ranges.

Therefore this means that there are a lot of constraints found at a later stage of the process but did not exist something like a week ago when at ATP level everything was fine and available. The business had the candy promised but then not granted when allocating batches in the delivery.

I know that ATP and batch determination move on different levels, but, from your business experience, are there ways to manage this impact so the ATP is also limited by these batch UD and SLED constraints, or in any way you consider interesting to suggest?.

If changes can be done according to your opinion, how would be them done in the system? I am not SD.

Thank you in advance for your points of view about this interesting topic.

M.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member223981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to execute batch determination in the SO rather than the delivery.

If you do this, the ATP in the SO should be restricted according to the determined batch. I think it would be difficult for the system to restrict ATP based on a batch that has not yet been determined!

0 Kudos

Thank you Noel; This means that the batch determination should be done directly in the sales order, well before the delivery thus bypassing a future constraint? Would you explain this a bit more if you are so kind?

former_member223981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In reality, what you are seeing is how the ATP should work - it should get stricter the closer you get to issuing the stock. And that is what is happening on your system.

My understanding of the issue is this happens:

- Sales order created and the system confirms an available quantity.

- Delivery created, a batch is determined and now the availability check finds 0 available stock as this batch is not available.

If you did the following:

- Sales order created, execute a batch determination. The system will only determine a batch that is already available.

- Delivery will be created with the batch that is in the sales order.

Another classic example of the ATP check getting stricter as we near GI would be this example:

Stock = 0

Production Order = 10

A sales order is created with a requirement quantity of 10. For checking rule A, production orders are included. So 10 will be confirmed.

However, for checking rule "B", production orders are not included. Therefore, there is no confirmed quantity when you create the delivery.

In the above example, you would include production orders for the sales order ATP because you expect that they will be receipted into stock by the time the delivery gets created.

It is the same with your batch example - it is unfair to expect the system to not confirm an available quantity based on a batch that has not yet been determined.

jobis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

So what about the shelf life of a material..This is just a scenario and am not sure how it will be in real.

If we have 10 quantity in stock in which 2 has a shelf life of 15 days.

If i create an order for 10 quantity with required delivery on the 16th day for example.

Wont the quantity be confirmed in the availability check. And when i go for delivery on the 16th day, i will only have 8 quantity as 2 quantity has expired.

Will batch determination at sales order can consider this and work perfectly..?

Thanks in advance

Regards

jobi

0 Kudos

Hello dear Noel

Thank you for your answer. <Text removed by Moderator>

M.

Message was edited by: Jyoti Prakash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jobis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is an interesting and important topic indeed.

For my understanding, the ATP check at sales order do not consider the batch level features like shelf life etc..

Hope experts in this functionality will throw some light on this.

Thanks

Jobi