cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xMII 12.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

As most of us are aware that xMII 12.0 will not be out untill the end of this year .

For applications that've just started on xMII 11.5 SR03 are there any specifics to be kept in mind while designing/developing so that the migration could be as smooth as possible?

I would appreciate if the answers could be categorized as regards to Web, Templates & Transactions.

Thanks

Udayan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In addition to Erik's comments, in regards to users, stay away from creating xMII specific users. Tie into LDAP, NTLM, or some other UME system.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

erik_schrampf
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Udayan,

With respect to content development in 11.5 being fully upgradable to 12.0.

The Web, Templates and Transactions will all need to have a strong correlation at the folder level structure.

For example if you should have in both display and query templates located in same folder:

(ie. Lighthammer/Illuminator/Templates/ProjectName/BusinessProcessName). This same folder structure should follow fo the Transactions as well as Web content as well:

Lighthammer/Xacute/Transactions/ProjectName/BusinessProcessName

and

Inetpub/WebFolder/ProjectName/BusinessProcessName

In 12.0 there is no file system to store files it is all stored in a DB as Projects. So when upgraded a new project would be found and would be named ProjectName/BusinessProcessName in 12.0 with all the display templates, query templates, transactions and web content being stored together logically groupped together.

The best way to make sure your projects imports correctly into 12.0 is to download and follow the xMII Best Practices guide on the SDN.

Thanks,

Erik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, from what I know of 12.0, you should also avoid using or prepare for migrating the following:

- ASP or ASP.NET

- Dependence on absolute links to your web page content (if you're storing them in IIS)

- Any applications that call URLs /Lighthammer/XXXX...

- Scheduler tasks that run at intervals less than one minute

- Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone.This is helpful.

Ryan,

I had a question though as regards to User Management. While tying into, lets say an LDAP compliant DB , how does xMII take care of the navigation part? If I do not define the users and roles in xMII UM then they will not be available for me on the Navigation page, OR if LDAP services are configured then the navigation page is capable of getting the data from the LDAP compliant DB?

This one's for every one - in 12.0 the User Management would be the Netweaver User Management , right? Would that support Integration with external systems that maintain your users for example - Active Directory?

erik_schrampf
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Navigation in 12.0 is taken care of in the same way as 11.5. All users and roles are now defined within Netweaver. There is not a seperate part for user mangement within xMII 12.0 as there was in 11.5. If you have LDAP configured and setup in Netweaver, then in xMII 12.0 you can pull these roles and users on the Navigation page.

Question 2:

User Management Engine (UME): The SAP User Management Engine (UME) provides modules for integration with different security models, such as LDAP, Database, Local SAP User Management Engine, and Kerberos. It will be used to maintain your SAP xMII users. UME also supports Single Sign On (SSO) and the SS02 ticket generated by SAP xMII and can be propagated to ERP for SOX and GMP compliance.

User-defined attributes are limited to what the SAP User Management Engine supports.

Thanks,

Erik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Erik,

In 11.5 we could create roles and add LDAP users to them to organize displays, access, etc. This is all inside (local to) an individual xMII server (and we have 66 of them).

Now (with v12) we have to use UME to define roles and add members but:

1. don't know how to limit permission for users to modify membership in xMII related roles but no others in the UME.

2. are struggling with having to maintain up to 8 roles per site for 66 sites in the non-hierarchical data structure in the UME role list.

Is this a unique situation. Are we missing something??

Former Member
0 Kudos

John

Start a new thread to gain more visibility.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick - are you saying even the URLs that provide the webservice capabilities?

i.e /Illuminator?&Connector=XacuteConnector&Server=XacuteConnector....

and

i.e /Lighthammer/ChartServlet ????

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep. They changed 'em to:

/XMII/

...instead of

/Lighthammer/

- Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, that's fine - I thought you meant they were going away!

We are using these and have them within a config file. We are utilizing a Service Factory class to return our settings/configs. So we're ready!