Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same stack.xml for Development, Quality and Production

former_member285279
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

one general question regarding MOPZ and stack creation.

If I want to update an SAP System line (DEV, QA, PROD) to a higher SP Stack level, can I use the already created stack.xml in for the development system and as well for the quality system and production system?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jochen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In general, you should generate stack.xml for all systems on same day, so that patch levels remians same.

However, is everything is same in all your system, refer below note for more  1600302 - MOpz: Copy stack xml with a report

Regards,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also check -  1711612 - RPT_MOPZ_COPY_STACK_XML Report Troubleshooting

former_member285279
Participant
0 Kudos

Hallo Divyanshu, Hello All,

many thanks for quick answer for this helpfully information's.

So, If I correct understand, the correct way is to do the same process as for development, for quality and production. Yes?

That means, you have to go again trough alle MOPZ steps and afterwards download all files via Download Basket and copy it the the next quality system for SUM deployment. As well take the new quality stack.xml file.

Can I do that quality and production some days after, If I use the same Stack level?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jochen

mamartins
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You do only one MPOZ transaction for the DEV system, download all files and the stack.xml.

Next, after complete successful DEV upgrade, you run the report mentioned above and select the DEV stack.xml and enters the QUA SID and hostname to generate a new stack.xml properly configured for QUA. With this new stack.xml, and SUM and the files you already downloaded you upgrade QUA.

And so on for PROD.

M

former_member285279
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Manuel,

many thanks for your quick response and for this helpfully information's.

What I want to know is, what is the correct process?

Is the correct process to do it for each three systems or only one time for development?

Regards,

Jochen

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

What matters is to have a consistent stack file for the upgrade of all the systems. There is no such requirement to have the stack file created only through MOPZ for the remaining systems in the landscape. If it was the case then the SAP note I have supplied wont be available. You only need to download the SP's for the upgrade only once. The upgrade tool reads the packages from the directory or file system where the packages are kept and extracts them. You can use the same packages for the remaining upgrades. I have created stack file only once and used it for the subsequent systems in the landscape by modifying it using an editor.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
So, If I correct understand, the correct way is to do the same process as for development, for quality and production. Yes?

Perhaps, yes what  I personally believe. Reason, if there are certain version mismatch between D,Q and P, a fresh XML would be better.

Can I do that quality and production some days after, If I use the same Stack level?

Yes, but one should do this asap, since, esp for JAVA systems, the patch levels can differ as somebody apprised me that patchs for JAVA are release every fortnight.

Regards,

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Usually it should be fine if there is a time difference of only a few days. But in my experience with MOPZ (4 years supporting it daily full-time) the stack definitions change slightly, and the longer the time span between the XMLs, the more risk of differences. In particular, the ST-PI and the patch levels in Java systems are prone to change suddenly.

Also, the MOPZ backend calculation is constantly being improved and corrected. What solves a conflict in one calculation might impact slightly another calculation, so even if the stack definitions are the same, there might be small diferences in the stacks (particularly if large number of addons are involved in the process).

Generating the XMLs the same day, or testing the stack copy XML report before you are in the middle of an upgrade, are good insurance policies.

Best regards,

Miguel Ariño

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mamartins
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can. There is a program to change the stack.xml content to other system. Check SAP Note 1600302 - MOpz: Copy stack xml with a report.

But unless you are very sure about your systems versions and patch-levels across all systems, I recommend to use always MOPZ.

Regards,

MM

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi  ,

Believe the Production system should be used to generate the stack.xml file if the idea is to use the the report /manual edit  of the stack.xm file to be used in QA / DEV .

The reason is sometimes the PROD system will be in a HA architecture or may contain multiple application servers .If the production system is used , during Go-Live it will be sure that any undesired s/w versions will not be installed  as we are using its own stack.xml

As recommended in SAP note 1600302   if you are using the script make sure that the systems are identical

Thanks ,

Manu

former_member285279
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manu, Hi all,

first of all many thanks to all of you for this very helpfully discussion!

Let me short explain what I did.

Some days after, I created the XML stack file for Integration and Production.

And already informed by you, here I identify differences in the some java packages version as well kernel version.

Then I used Notepad++ to compare the first development stack XML file with Integration and Production stack XML file and corrected both to the "master" development one regarding package and kernel version.

For the deployment to Integration is used the same download file repository as well for development.

The deployment to Integration works without any problems.

All three systems (Development, Integration and Production) are equal and no additional HA implementation on SAP application level in production.

Regards,

Jochen

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The quick answer is Yes and I have done it few times. You will need to modify the system details like hostname, SID and things like that.

There is also a report from SAP to copy the stack file.

1600302 - MOpz: Copy stack xml with a report

Cheers

RB