Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Webdynpro applications are inactive in SICF by default

raghu3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

Usually when we transport webdynpro applications for the first time to quality or production systems, we go to SICF and activate the relevant nodes. I have been doing this all the time , but I wanted to know why they are inactive by default? I searched SCN and SAP help and from I understood that they are delivered in inactive state by default for "Security Reasons". Can any one throw some light on how this is related to security?

Regards,
Raghu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghuram,

This may be reason that entire SICF is designed as a tree structure and every services / alias are under root node 'SICF' and there after the under particular sub node.

Its same for the web dynpro application , these are kept under service tree '/default_host/sap/bc/' .

So in that tree structure each one 'sap' / 'bc' are actually services same as your web dynpro application. That means the report which is creating services is taking reference from parent service and keeping it under the particular node & as mentioned by Kiran they can be accessed directly over the Internet via HTTP protocol so they are kept inactive.

There is no exception for custom ones because the are also services created under this service tree in the same way.

Regards,

Monishankar C

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184578
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It's because the Activated ICF services can be accessed over Internet via HTTP protocol. All the services delivered by SAP will be inactive by default and any new service you create will also be inactive by default.  You need to activate the required services.

So, activating all the service tree by default pose to risk and is a security issue.

hope this helps,

Regards,

Kiran

raghu3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

Thanks for the information. The approach seems logical for SAP  delivered applications.We have to activate only the ones that are needed.

But when we create a custom webdynpro application and transport this to Production , it implicitly means that we need this application to run in production. I was wondering , why they have to be inactive in SICF.

Regards,
Raghu