cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCUSSION ON WEBSERVICE

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI all,

I am new to PI . I read alot about webservice bt i am not getting a clear picture of it. i have studied that webservice uses consumer and server proxy where can we see these proxies . what is difference between proxy and webservice . what is the concept of binding and logical port.

Reply asap

Thanks & regards

Debanjan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dipen_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer to this blog - Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) & Bindings,

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-18441

Regards,

Dipen.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Debjan,

The concept of webservice has not a direct relationship with the proxy.

A webservice normally is consumed/exposed by SOAP adapter in P, this adapter makes the conversion between the external XML format and the PI-XML format. You use the Proxy to communicate between an ABAP system and PI and the message is sent directly by PI-XML format, depending your PI version you can use in PI a SOAP or XI adapter to make the communication, but this is not a webservice in its deeper meanning.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

can you please explain it in details as i am a fresher and it has been hardly two months joining PI. i am totally confused about the webservice concept.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok Debjan,

You think a webservice like when you navigate by internet, you set an URL you want a response, the webservice is similar you send a request in PI with the SOAP message protocol and XML format (there are another protocols but the SOAP is the principal). This communication goes via http protocol mainly but there are others.

In the last example i've defined a synchronous webservice, request and response. You can think in the internet URL that ask to you to submit some information and you have not an immediate answer, like the job applications. Those can be an asynchronous webservices, this means you send a request and you don't expect an answer in the same communication.

What is the difference then with a proxy?, you can think that you can use the SOAP adapter (PI 7.1 ans onwards) with the Proxy, with there are a slightness differences like the proxies doesn't consume/expose wsdl's, doesn't fulfill SOA architecture, only support SOAP protocol and internally only works with ABAP (or JAVA in SAP Java installations).

In my opinion the ABAP proxies needs a bit more to be a webservices, although they have some characteristics of them.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks inaki for your description,

ok we understood the basic cocept of webservice . we also want information on binding and logical port that is done for webservice

Regards

debanjan