cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Manager: ERP performance with standard app exchange tables?

former_member188433
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Folks - We use Agentry/Work Manager applications and have a question regarding the SAP standard applications and exchange tables. 

Background:

We started with Work Manager 5.3 and updated to 6.1.  Each version provides an SAP standard WM application with all exchange tables set to active.  We do not use the standard apps.  We make copies of the standard app and customize to our needs (activating only the exchange tables that are needed).  For both the 5.3 and 6.1 go-live we had performance issues in ERP.  The root cause was that many different SAP transactions create records in the exchange tables, even for functionality that is not relevant for our custom mobile apps.  This seems to be happening because the SAP standard app has all exchange tables activated.

Question:

So far our solution has been to turn off the exchange tables in the SAP standard app.

Is this the best way to handle the situation we are seeing?  Has anyone else seen this issue and found a better solution?

Best Regards - Jeff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jeff,

Hi. Here is my cheat sheet. Each article may also have a list of performance update requirements. This is all based if you have an older ERP add on (Mobile Add on installed) or you have the newer ones. But read my cheat sheet here.

I try to update this link when I find out more. As we continue to improve our software in production, we appreciate all production data we get from all customers.

There is another documentation that some of my SAP colleague is doing to use the other data feature to improve performance. This feature is to use a data staging ability where you can pre-configure all your clients to have a pre-defined data to save time in transmitting. For example, you have preloaded 400K rows in this data staging. All your clients on deployment will query this data table to get all rows. This is faster than asking SAP to query millions of records during transmit to just produce the 400K rows of data. This will save time in transmit and improve performance (most of Work Manager has this already - it is only deactivated and the complex table or exchange table in used instead). Any update to the data will use the exchange logic after that. Until that documentation is out, I can only give you this link on performance.

Regards,

Mark Pe

SAP Senior Support Engineer

former_member188433
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark - I am reviewing the notes now.  Some seem very relevant to our issue. One follow-up question:
When we originally deployed the ERP add-on (5.3) and then when we updated the add-on for 6.1, it seems that the SAP-supplied WM app is "active" and with all exchange table config active as well.

We never use the standard app and we tailor the exchange table config for our custom apps appropriately.

Is it correct that the SAP-supplied WM app should be active by default?  If so what is the best way to deactivate the standard WM app completely?

Best Regards - Jeff

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jeff,

With respect to your deactivate question, I will defer this question to somebody who actually did it as removing and adding stuff may be tricky (like turning off and turning on BC sets - causes major problems).

Regards,

Mark Pe

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188433
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All - Many thanks to Mark and Manju!  They pointed me to WM 6.1 performance notes that corrected the problem we were seeing in production. These notes were relevant for us:

My previous concern about the SAP-supplied version of the WM app was incorrect.
Best Regards - Jeff

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jeff,

Thanks for the update. Remember SAP likes to partner with our customers. So if you have seen anything in the field that needs us to tweak - let us know. We try to look at SCN too for any noises on what people are seeing then we try to go back to product dev and state where the noises are (improvement needed or doc needed or training needed and others). Especially if there are missing docs somewhere. Internally, we try to create it and put it in an area that is easily searchable by your phone (OK-Google, Siri-Can you find me or SCN for Mobile community).

For example you can put the SCN in your mobile phone. This is one article that you can find: : http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-42262 (just to follow the threads - start your own and others). All of us support, development team, your SAP consultants and your SAP partners and customers look at this SCN. So it is a win win. We like your participation on making us aware of the pain points and we try to fix it ASAP or give proper guidelines.

Thanks again from your Agentry, Work Manager 6.X and Other Agentry products, SMP 3.0 (Agentry) team here in SAP Labs for your confirmation above. It helps other users like yourself search the key issue.

Best Regards,

Mark Pe

i834235
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Jeff,

Take a look at some of the OSS notes  it might be relevant for you. Take look at linkage option for the exchange objects.

2097316 - xChange linkage processing for work order should only
consider operation level technical o...

2059664 - Work Order xChange linkage processing can cause system
performance problem when PM inspect...

Thanks

Manju.

former_member188433
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Manju - I am looking at the notes.  Regards - Jeff