Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odata Service in NWGW or ECC Backend

former_member193023
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am getting a little confused about whether the Odata service needs to be created in NWGW or ECC backend.

From what I have read in the documents it needs to be created at NWGW ie Front End. I followed step by step procedure to create Odata service and figured out that the Service Implementation Modal and data classes were also created in the FE. While when I take a look at the Fiori Odata services offered by SAP, the Modal and Data classes are in the Backend ECC.

Is it there something I am missing or something I am getting confused about? Pls share your expertise.

Thanks,

Parth Jhalani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My few cents,

Gateway has two logical and physical components. One to be installed on frontend server and one on the backend server and this is creating confusion in your mind. In Fiori documentation the Frontend server is also called as Gateway server, though Gateway related development does not happen there. But the backend/ECC also has a Gateway component and almost all development happens on ECC/Backend.

In Frontend server/Gateway server, only service registration happens. Also it stores the UI5 applications.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

EkanshCapgemini
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Parth,

As Jitendra and Krishna said, there are different deployment scenarios for gateway services. If you follow the blog mentioned in Jitendra's reply, you will get to know the different deployment scenarios possible for gateway services.

To give you the brief, there are basically 3 main components of gateway in which 2 works on front end server or Gateway server while the rest one goes on the backend server (this is the case for NW version < 7.4). For NW 7.4, we have one common component that composes all 3 and works as either of those servers. You can follow the blog and check where we create the gateway service in all the cases.

As krishna said, in case of fiori all the services are generated at the backend but only registered on front end server.

Regards,

Ekansh

former_member193023
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you guys! It makes sense to me now.

Thanks,

Parth Jhalani

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You should have a look at this guide. It is interesting and self explanatory.

kedarT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Parth,

oData Model need to be created in the backend and registered in the front end to create a oData service.

As the model is created in the backed - MPC and DPC are created in the backend where you code all the needed querying and logic.

Trusted RFC are used to retrieve the data from the backend.

Another important piece while registering the Model in the front end is the System Alias through which the odata model from the backend using Trusted RFC.

Hope this helps.