cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Mgmt: Project builder vs. individual transactions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would kindly like to ask if someone could compare the pros and cons of managing a project with the Project Builder or via individual transactions. In particular with an emphasis on releasing PR's (ME54N, ME54, ME55, ME15N, ME21N).

Which is more versatile?
Which is more functional?
Which is less resource intensive?
Which is harder to use and thus requires more staff training hours?

Also:

What is the difference between an immediate release and an automatic release?
How do Network preferences determine the behavior of PR releases?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much!

Best,

Jesssica

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jessica,

You are trying to compare two different processes in SAP.

Project Builder - You can create the PR for your requirement based on the activity is released. Till this space a PS consultant will handle the requirement.

Individual Transaction - Here you control the PR cost by following a release  strategy and then if approved, it will be converted to PO and issued. This requirement is completely handled by MM consultant. Since its in MM space, PS doesn't relay on this.

In Project we can create PR, based on certain conditions like Never, From Release and Immediately. Never - PR will not be generated

From Release - PR will be created after the activity is released

Immediately - Below the activity release PR is created, on save you will get the PR number.

Regards

Terence

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Jessica,

PFB the answers

1. Which is more versatile?

Individual transactions involves/impacts single process whereas in Enjoy transactions like CJ20N/ MIGO we can do multiple things.. So from a versatility perspective the CJ20n scores higher than individual transaction.

2.Which is more functional?

Definitely the CJ20n has more functional reach then say CJ02 or CN21/CN22 from a PS perspective..

3.Which is less resource intensive?

Well it depends upon the authorizations provided to the resource and how much comfortable he/she is in working on the system..

4. Which is harder to use and thus requires more staff training hours?

Again its a very subjective term.. differs from person to person..   I

How do Network preferences determine the behavior of PR releases?

It doesn't control PR release as the PR/PO release is a MM process, it does control the creation of PR within PS.. as to whether the PR should be a Collective or Individual PR. PR should be created upon release of NWA or immediately etc.

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I do not think that PRs can be released in the Project Builder.  PRs can be created automatically through Network Activities, but it has no influence on PR release process.

You might confuse words Create and Release.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply,

So I can use the Project Builder to define Network activities which then create the PR?

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, that's a "best practice" for project related procurement process.