cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primavera and ms project

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to know  if it is possible to use SAP instead of primavera 6 ( oracel) for project management such as : making  s- curve , gant chart, cpm, project scheduling and contorling , resource allocation and leveling?

and also , basically, what is the diffrence between SAP project management software and Oracel P6 or ms project? which one is better for project managment Only?

thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

It will depend upon how many factors and what is that you are looking to achieve from using the Project management tool

1. SAP project Management Tool ( SAP PS or PPM or CPM)

1. SAP PS or PPM  or CPM gives a good amount of control and flexibility in scheduling, cost planning budget controls, but SAP user licences are expensive and Implementation also requires fair knowledge of SAP functions..

2. As SAP is an open software you can write you own custom codes to suit your requirements.

3. SAP PS/ PPM are very well integrated to other SAP modules like FICO, MM, SD and hence covers end to end processes like Order to Cash or Procure to Pay..

2. Primavera:

1. It is widely used for scheduling. A very good tool to plan for large real estate projects, or where you need to monitor your timelines on a very minute level.

2. Easy to use licence cost is not that high.

3. Not integrated with other aspects of Project Planning ( Cost ).

3.MS Project -

1. it is simple an easy to use tool, its not that expensive, widely used by project ,managers to maintain schedules and Resource allocations.

2. Cheapest of the all the tools available in the market..

3. Doesn't control any Monetary functions and it is a stand alone tool..

If Money is not a constraint for your business and you want to have a greater controls and better visibility I would recommend SAP PS.

Hope it helps..

Regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI sammar,

at first thanks for your answer. I am a  professional user of p6 (and msp almost) , but i do not know about sap ps,ppm,cpm. Oracle p6 is almost known as the most widely used software for project management( plan and control). It has possibility to have the cost planning as well and ... more specifically as the course book 102&106 discuss.

but my main question is that if sap ps,ppm,cpm has enough capability ,  options and  features as p6 has? such as: real time presentation of s curve of progress (physical or cost with weight factors and ...) and the related analysis, resource allocation and  leveling and ...

br

hosein

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Hosein,

To answer your query in one line is ..Yes it can all be achieved using SAP.

But the ease of use in MSP or P6 is not there in SAP.. It is rigid but provides good amount of controls and integration with other modules..

Regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks... And which course book do you recommend for learning sap project management?

Br

Hosein

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can read these books:

1. Buy SAP® Project System Handbook (Essential Skills (McGraw Hill)) Book Online at Low Prices in India... 

2. https://www.sap-press.com/project-management-with-sap-project-system_3614/

If you are planning for training and certification in SAP PS or PPM, visit the SAP Training institutes in your area or check online as well using the below link..

Training & Certification | SAP

Hope it helps..

Regards

Sammar

Answers (0)