cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creation of master data in ECC and transfer to MDG - A strange process - need input

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello All

I am currently working on an assessment and I need all your expert views. This is something I have seen first time in the MDG project. I need your views so just to get confirmation that what-ever I think is perfect and not something ill-logical...

Process described in current PDD -

Creation of Customer master / Vendor / Material Master data - MDG implemented as HUB.

1. Requester will raise a master data request in SAP ECC through a web based form (Web-dynpro). A custom table will be created in ECC to update the data filled up through this form and it will be exact copy of standard tables. For e.g MARA. The reason given for this solution is Why the user will log in in different systems? They work in ECC / ARIBA / CRM etc. I really don't think this is logical.

2. Once the requester submit the request from ECC, a Change request will get created automatically in MDG (UI 5 screen design in MDG as per PDD) and it will update reuse tables in MDG -  This design as per the designer is very simple and easy through functional handlers / interfaces etc. Is it really feasible? As per my understanding you can't update the tables in MDG through any other custom program and not a good practice too. Also I think it will take huge effort just to design this interface.

3. Now the request form (UI5) is in MDG and its with Master data team. The master data steward will click on duplicate check option.

4. Next, the master data steward will forward the work item from MDG to different users in ECC. For e.g Finance data / Sales data etc. These users will access MDG work item from ECC inbox, they will open the work item which contain the from in ECC, update the data in ECC and submit it which in turn update MDG tables. - I really don't know whether this is technically feasible and whether MDG workitem can be pushed from MDG to ECC? Is is possible using BRF+? Again the answer I got from designer is that its very simple and  you just have to do little bit of coding...

5. Once the data is collected from ECC to MDG the steward will submit the entire form.

6. The next level is approver - again here they have 3 levels of approver. Once approved, data will get updated in ECC standard tables.

7. A program to synchronize the standard table data to custom tables

8. Not to use BP also and use customer / vendor screens as they don't have standard CRM

Same process is followed for MDG-M.

This is something I never seen. Reasons given for having this solution is - Users don't want to log-in in different systems and the license cost and MDG is just a framework and not a complete solution etc- for me these are not the valid reason.

I need some expert views from all of you - Michael / Abdullah - may be you can add your views on workflow and UI design.

Have you ever seen such type of scenario in any MDG implementation and do you really think this is feasible solution?

Do you really recommend this for a multinational organization? I strongly oppose it.

Thanks always for the help....Waiting for your valuable input on this.

Kiran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A couple of thoughts that come to mind:

• If everything is being done in the ECC system, why even bother with a hub?!!
  • You might want to look into using NWBC (or Enterprise Portal for that matter). It makes shifting between system kind of seamless. This way, users won't have to worry (or care) whether they are in MDG or in ECC.

About WF items between multiple systems, you might have to use BPM (for multi-system workflow management). The alternative will be to develop a host of RFC calls to control work items between the different systems which will be a huge undertaking in itself.

Overall, I don't see how this could work with these assumptions using SAP's MDG. You are probably better off building a completely custom solution.

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your quick reply. I asked the same question to the designer but never got satisfactory answers.

I am still of the opinion that this is not the simple thing to design and develop ('as coated by the designer - its very easy and simple'). Even felt why one should go for MDG in that case. This is something I haven't seen in any of my previous MDG implementation project and if some one claims that its already LIVE in market with very less effort, I though of taking the opinion form the experts...

Thanks for your valuable input.

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the designer thinks it is so simple to implement, I suggest s/he be on the one implementing it

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yep...thanks...

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran

We had similar requirement in past. We procreed as per below

1. Requestor creates CR in ECC portal ( Web portal). All requested data stored in custom table .
  2. After sumbittion it comes to approval's SAP ECC inbox with UML workflow
  3. After all approval data copied into ECC tables also like KN*

Here we are not using MDG at all and workflow is developed on portal side only. We schedule job to synchorinise custom tanles with KNA1 peroidically as they want to creat in ECC also in case of urgency and bypass workflow.

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Sanjay for your input...

Kiran

Answers (0)