Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP BOM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why and where can we use DP BOM?

Can SNP/PPDS be done along with DP BOM?

How does a DP BOM differ in case of PDS?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harish,

My location has only 1 product. So while loading it loads that prodcut only.

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

If you have only one product then what about the component products that you have defined in the DP BOM. Please try by selecting the finished product at the location. If you then hit the "Show dependent demand for Input Products" button then it should display the data for component products. You may like to check the CVCs generated after adding BOM information option for the MPOS. If correctly done it creates CVCs for the component products as well which show up in Interactive Demand Planning in the second grid.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sandeep

Which icon are you clicking on?

the one on the left above the selection ids? or the one on the right above the planning book grid. the one on the right is the one you should get some result from :)... sorry if this sounds very obvious but i did do that once

Former Member
0 Kudos

For simplcity sake I have bulit the sceanrio in the following manner,

There is a final product A and its component B. Both are maintianed at location X. DP BOM is also maitnianed with this relationship. The same is reflected in the CVCs in the MPOS.

In the selection ID, I select Product A and Location X. When I click on the 'Show Dependent objects' Icon which is above the planning area grid, it does not show the dependent demand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somnath/Harish,

Can I send a the screen shot of the configuration that i have maintained to any of ur ids so that you are in a better position ot understand of what am i missing?

Regards

Saneep

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

You can send me screenshots of what you have done and the issue. Unfortunately I am tied up with an APO workshop till next week and just get half an hour to check mails. So I can not provide a solution immediately. I shall try my best to check out the scenario in my system and reply.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

sure

pl mail it to harish.an (at)gmail (dot) com

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Hope you have got my email response. Looks like the data selection used by you is the root of the problem. I used a data selection with only the finished product and then everything worked fine. Your data selection was by location which is not a correct selection.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI sandeep

if you choose APO product in your selection for show and use the output product of your PPM as the filter.

then if you use the "display dependent objects" you will get on the second grid the dril down of your input products(you can also get a pop up to choose the ones you want to display)

you can also choose show"APO usage" and use the input products in the filter to bring up only the output products in the selecton window

you will get the dependent objects working only if you load the output products in the selection screen. Anything else would not give you a drill down

(this behavior is similar to what you see in capacity planning data view of the aggregated planning books)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish/Somnath,

I got the issure resolved. Actually I ran the live cache consistency report which displayed an error. After having repaired the error, the dependent demand was displayed.

Sorry for the inconvenience. But atleast I learnt that whnever CVCs are created manually, it is better to run the consistency check before going ahead in the configuration.

Sandeep

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks a lot for letting us know that your issue finally was resolved. More importantly you did the best think - recording the root cause and your learning at the end of the thread. That way next time someone has a similar issue they do not waste time but straightway check the fundamentals (in this case running time series consistency check).

This indeed is a perfect closure.

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

great. good the issue got resolved

It is almost mandatory to run the Consistency check after CVC generation.

if you are on production you should set it up to run it as often as u schedule any CVC changes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Somnath,

I have used Prodcut in my selection profile. Initially I was using Locaion in the selection profile and the system was throwing the error. But now after selecting product in the selection profile, it is not showing the error. But the dependent demand demand is not being reflected.

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

you might have the same products are different locations and hence whats showing is the aggregation of the locations and they might have different boms

try loading location products separately

or if you are loading all products make sure you have done "details all"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Somnath,

I have taken care of the steps that you have mentioned in the previous reply. I have followed all steps as given in help.sap.com in the link: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/e8/d47139f5a04c61e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

But still the message persists and the values arent getting populated for the dependent demand.

Can you tell me what step am I missing or where am I going wrong?

Sandeep

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the selection profile you are using? Looks like it has to do something with the data selection .... I need to test back in my system which will take time.

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Somnath,

I have created a planning area with Dependent Demand, Foreacst, History, Promotion and Total Forecast as key figures and location and prodcut as characterisitics in MPOS. While creating the planning area, I have included, I have included 401 and 501 for forecast and Dependent Demand in the semantics(to show the dependency). I have included the dependent demand in a separate grid while creating the planning book. Then I manually added added data in the history key figure and foreacsted the same. When I foreacsted the data and clicked on ' show dependent objects', the system gave me the message, 'Dependent objects cannot be displayed at this aggregation level'.

Can you please help?

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sandeep,

Just having location and product as characteristics in MPOS is not sufficient. Please mark the MPOS as relevant for DP-BOM. This will include the DP BOM relevant characteristics in the MPOS. Also after generation of CVCs you need to carry out a step whereby the DP BOM master data gets linked to the CVCs.

Make sure if you have done the same.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somntah,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to create a simulation in our IDES system with one header and one component. But when I try to display the dependent objects, it displays the message, 'Dependent objects cannot be displayed at this aggregation level.' Can you help?

Sandeep

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sandeep,

Please provide detailed steps of the issue. I need to try out in my system before I can give any feedback.

Somnath

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The ultimate reference for DP-BOM would be <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm41/helpdata/en/e8/d47139f5a04c61e10000000a114084/content.htm">this on help.sap.com</a>.

To give a quick exmaple:

Think of speakers - they are sold as speakers and also as part of a music system package. You forecast (independent demand) for both the stand alone speakers sales and also music systems. But then for each music system you have dependent demand for a set of speakers. So how to accomodate for that at the speakers level.

This is where DP BOM can help. You have a DP BOM for music system linking to the speakers and the quantities. So if you music system sales manager forecasts for music system demand, your speakers sales manager forecasts for speakers only - at the speakers planning level you get independent demand for speakers and dependent demand for speakers coming from music system. So the total demand for speakers is generated.

From here on planning in SNP, PPDS etc. is same for speakers. No need to worry about DP-BOM. DP-BOM is in DP only.

DP BOM is not PDS or PPM. You need to create this BOM manually or generate from existing SNP or PPDS PPMs <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm41/helpdata/en/da/6c723b9a4b2600e10000000a114084/content.htm">as given here</a>.

Please note DP BOM is a single level BOM and nothing more. PPM or PDS on the other hand is a combination of BOM and Routing (activities and resources).

Hope this answers your questions.

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Somnath,

With reference to your "Speakers" example, I have a scenario which I want to plan and I am not sure what procedure I should follow.

Suppose, I have Business A which plans for the "Music Systems" in a Planning Area A. Also I have Business B, that belong to the same company, which plans "Speakers" in Planning Area B, they make speakers for Business A and other companies also.

My aim is to take Business A's forecast for music systems and use the same to determine the number of speakers I need to make. At present, both the businesses plan seperatly and donot collaborate.

My question is

- Should I can DP-BOM to help me use business A's forecast to determine the speakers volume and save me from doing forecast for speakers

- OR this can be acheived only thru SNP where I will send the Business A's forecast to SNP and plan for speakers and later send the planned orders to r/3.

I am not sure which way I can acheive my goal. Please let me know if you need more explanation to the same. Kindly advice.

Sorry for the breaking in the chain of messages - if needed I can create seperate message for this topic.

Thanks,

Sanju

Please reply on this New Thread

Message was edited by:

Sanju