cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Analytic/Calculation view best practice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

We are in a process to extract data from ECC to HANA and create views and push data to BW targets using ODP.

Basically we are extracting data from PS tables for example.

PROJ,PRPS,SKA1,T001,CEPC,CEPCT are master data tables.

COEP,COSP,COSS are the transaction data tables.

We would like to create attribute views for all the master data tables and for transaction data tables we would like to create calculation views rather than analytic views and push data to BW Targets using Operational data provisioning.

To extract from ECC - SLT

To push to BW Targets from HANA Views - ODP

Which is the best practice, is it calculation view or analytic view?

Please explain in detail, so that it would be great for our modeling.

Please explain pros/cons for both the views.

Best regards

venu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Venu,

I will suggest to go with calculation view with star join.

You can create calculation view as dimension for these tables: - PROJ,PRPS,SKA1,T001,CEPC,CEPCT

Then you can create calculation view with star join by including transaction table COEP,COSP,COSS  as your base. Aggregate, join your data based on your requirement and then simply use above calc dim views in star join node.

Advantages: -

• You need not to define multiple analytical view for each fact table
  • SAP is putting lot of effort in enhancing calculation models, so from long term solution perspective this is best choice.
  • Star Join works well in terms of performance.
  • You can consume this model either in BW as virtual provider or you can push data to BW target through ODP .

Link on how to use Calc view with star join : -

I am currently working on SP8 and these views works really well .

Regards,

Kulwinder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your replies.

I would like to know how to handle WBS element and Project conversions from internal to External in our scenario.

Because if we use standard extractor we have PSPEX which is external WBS Element, as we extract directly from Tables (PROJ,PRPS) into HANA and then push to BW targets, where and how to handle this conversion.

Best regards

Venu

former_member210482
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

Based on experience, Olap engine is faster than calculation engines. There is no document available regarding this. So i cannot provide a detail explaination on this. If it is possible to achieve the view through analytical view then go for it. if not then go with calculation view.

Note that if there are too many calculated columns in your view go for calculation view since the calculation engine will come into picture.

Please go through below image for better understanding..

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Safiyu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Safiyu,

Thanks very much, and we do not have any calculations at all from source tables.

In that case can I go for Attribute view and push data to BW Targets through ODP directly from Attribute views?

Regards

Venu

former_member210482
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

Attribute views are basically dimensions that doesnt have any transaction data's in it.

If you have only master data's that has to be exposed, then go for attribute views.

If you have transaction data in you view then go for analytical view.

If you have complex calculations then go for calculation view.

Regards,

Safiyu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Instead can we use DXC (Direct extractor connection)to extract data from PS extractors (eg . 0CO_OM_WBS_6) into HANA and create view and push data to BW Infocubes?

Best regards

Venu

former_member210482
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

Yes. But instead of pushing it into infocubes you can use composite providers.

Regards,

Safiyu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Safiyu,

Thanks for your quick response.

Our current scenario is we have BW-IP running successfully from 3 years.

from Some of the regions there are data loads lead times, to avoid that we want to improve loading performance from ECC to BW via HANA.

and from there we have to push data to Planning cubes, that is our intention.

Please suggest, which is better way.

Best regards

Venu

former_member210482
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

No idea on how intermediate HANA will improve your load. But if your bw is on hana then automatically the load performance will be improved.

Regards,

Safiyu

former_member210482
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

If you are using hana and then pushing it to bw on hana, push it to composite providers. Check with basis team regarding the load performance for ecc->hana->bw.

Regards,

Safiyu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Safiyu,

in what kind of requests have you made the observation that analytical views are faster than calculation views? I am just curious because I had the impression that calc. views are much faster.

Especialy if you use the SQLEngine.

Best regards

Patrik

former_member210482
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Analytical views make use of olap engine and olap engine is specifically designed to execute star schemas.  basic master data and fact table join is nothing but a star schema, and olap engine processes them faster than calculation engine. I conducted a poc and analytical view was faster than calculation view. This is not applicable when your view has complex calculations. In that regard prefer calculation view.

Regards,

Safiyu