cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netweaver 7.4 SR2 installation asking for older kernel version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are testing out system copy to a new system on ECC6.0 EHP7 base on Netweaver 7.4 SR2 with media 51049350_10. We were smooth on installation/import process, however during the stage start instance the system cannot start

"An error occurred while processing option SAP Business Suite 7i 2013 Support Release 2 > EHP7 for SAP ERP 6.0 ABAP Support Release 2 > MS SQL Server > System Copy > Target System > Standard System > Based on AS ABAP > Standard System( Last error reported by the step: Instance D60/DVEBMGS00 reached state SHUTDOWN after having state STARTING. Giving up.). You can now:

Choose Retry to repeat the current step.

Choose Log Files to get more information about the error.

Stop the option and continue later.

Log files are written to C:/Program Files/sapinst_instdir/BS2013SR2/ERP607SR2/MSS/COPY/SYSTEM/STD/AS-ABAP.

"

After checking on dev_wX we saw a strange message

A  *** ERROR => ab_init: This kernel version may run with SAP_BASIS version 700 in preput scenarios only! [abinit.c695]

M  *** ERROR => ab_init failed (-1) [thrtAbapEnv. 533]

M  *** ERROR => ThrtAbapEnvInit2 failed (-1) [thxxext.c510]

M  ***LOG R19=> ThInit, ThStartUp2 ( RUNT-000001) [thxxhead.c  1291]

The media and I also chosen SR2 to install but why system requesting a 740 kernel? Also if I try to download a 740 kernel disp+work will forever stuck at "system in state STARTING"

Please give me a suggestion how should I resolve this issue. Thanks a lot.

Some information on installation

Server: Win2k12r2

DB: MSSQL 2012 (media 51047515)

I have attached a dev_w10 file for reference.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You are using kernel release 742 on the target system.

You did a system copy from the source system to the target system.

The instance start up fails with the below error:

A  *** ERROR => ab_init: This kernel version may run with SAP_BASIS version 700 in preput scenarios only! [abinit.c     695]

M  *** ERROR => ab_init failed (-1) [thrtAbapEnv. 533]

M  *** ERROR => ThrtAbapEnvInit2 failed (-1) [thxxext.c    510]

Could you tell me what is the BASIS release of the source system?

If the source system BASIS release is not on the supported version then this will happen.

1969546 - Release Roadmap Kernel 740

Check this SAP note to know which version of the kernel should be used for the target system (if the system is based on NW 7.4).

If you have done a heterogeneous system copy then check the source system version and use the kernel of the same release supporting the target OS and DB.

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help, turns out I used a pre-upgrade export for system copy...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

1. Your Source & Target system version are same or different?

2. Could you refer the SCN thread with same issue but the OS /DB is different

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

1) Different (heterogeneous system copy)

2) I read that SCN thread that's why I notice the error message requires me to use kernel 740 (not working also). I was wandering why I used 7.42 installer but require 7.4 kernel.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris

I think you have to use the same kernel what you have in source system. because of this your getting this error.

BR

SS