cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDA Application: how to get the pdfsource xstring updated by user?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, gurus

we use adobe interactive form in our WDA application to provide user interface for input, then we want to get the pdfsource back into our context again, and later we use a extraction tool to grab the xml data out of the string.

the problem is that , once the form is displayed on the client side , any user input done to the form will not update the pdf source defined in the context.

could you please tell me is it possible to get the updated pdf source back in the context?

thanks .

Jun

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

actually the scenario described in note:

856882 Adobe: Allowing limited input in DDIC mode

is exactly what we want .

but it seem there are some program bug there in SAP maybe?

anybody has any experiences with the so called 'PDF only' scenario?

and this is how we want to use the interactive form with ddic interface:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/212/457143302_d2a39dc11f.jpg?v=0

thanks and best regards.

Jun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun,

it is great news. But for me it doesn't work. Which SP do you have (SP10 patch1, SP11)? I have SP10, no patch.

My best solution, but it doesn't work, is:

1. I have an adobe form with ZCI layout (this form I created in SP10). I inserted webdynpro script in SFP. On form I have webDynpro native Submit button.

2. My interactiveForm in WDA has properties:

<i>dataSource</i>: node in context under which is attribute of type structure (type of my import parameter from interface of my adobe fom). I tryed use empty node of my context or to leave this property empty but then in server round trip I got error: Access via 'NULL' object reference not possible.

displayType: native

enabled: true

pdfSource: attribute of type xstring

readOnly: false

templateSource: empty

onSubmit: my_action

If I press Submit button in form then server round trip is processed. But my_action isn't called. Method WDDOMODIFYVIEW is only called and in pdf source is pdf file which I prefilled (no new values in xml data).

Please describe properties of context node which you use for the property dataSource.

As you mentioned "the static context binding is soooo...unflexible".

Thanks

Michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Michal

bad news.

further testing show that although we could bypass the short dump by defining an empty data source node. by after that the pdfsource xstring in the context will NOT get updated accordingly, although we have passed that back.

that 's really too bad.

I wish SAP people can hear our voice, that is:

PLEASE GIVE US THE POSSIBLITY TO USE THE PDFSOURCE,without have to defining static context binding....

i think that will make the WDA interactive form more powerful and flexible.

really bad news for us..

Jun

krishanu_biswas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jun,

If i understood the problem correctly (please correct me if i am wrong),

1. your interactive form based application does not have the "pdfSource" property bound to a context variable

2. And you do not have the provision to bind it statically (as you have mentioned before).

3. When the user enters the data in the form, you want this binary pdf to be available on the server (with the correct data merged in it).

Please confirm or explain in details, how do you want your application to be. If required, i can take your query to the WD4A experts for a better resolution.

I am being on the java side of it, i would expect that if you bind the pdfSource property to a context attribute of right type (in WD4A), you should have the updated PDF available on the server. Please try and let us know.

Best Regards,

Krish

Best Regards,

Krish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Krish,

1. your interactive form based application does not have the "pdfSource" property bound to a context variable

NO, the pdfsource property of the adobe form control is bound to a context varirable with type of xstring.

a function module will be called in the init of the application , that will generate the xstring with prefilled data;

2. And you do not have the provision to bind it statically (as you have mentioned before).

YES, we dont want to bind the interactive form content fields (other than the pdf source) to the context nodes of the view.

3. When the user enters the data in the form, you want this binary pdf to be available on the server (with the correct data merged in it).

YES, we want to pdfsource (xstring) back on the sap, with data changed by user, then we may extract whatever they have entered from the xstring.

the point is , i want to avoid the static binding between the WDA context and the form interface.

any information is highly appreciated!

Jun

krishanu_biswas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jun,

Thanks for your reply. Couple of more clarifications:

1. How are you creating this PDF ? Is it getting created by the ADS with all the Usage Rights or do you have some other mechanism to do so ?

2. What is an "xstring" ? (Maybe, i am unfamiliar with the ABAP world) Can the xstring hold a binary pdf ?

Anyways, you will soon get a response from our WD4A interactive form experts.

Best Regards,

Krish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krish

1. How are you creating this PDF ? Is it getting created by the ADS with all the Usage Rights or do you have some other mechanism to do so ?

we build the PDF using ABAP function modules, the form templated is defined in transaction sfp. the user rights are applied automatically.

all the fields on the form can be used to input, including dropdown list and fields, it works fine.

2. What is an "xstring" ? (Maybe, i am unfamiliar with the ABAP world) Can the xstring hold a binary pdf ?

xstring is binary string, it hold the PDF file completely, including everything,not only xml data.

thanks and best regards.

Jun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun,

you use WDA ABAP or JAVA? NW04 or NW2004s? Which SP? ZCI layout or xACF?

Did you prefill context attribute for pdfSource with prepared pdf file? If yes then it is the problem. I tryed this scenario with WDA ABAP, SP9 and SP10, ZCI and xACF, and I wasn't able to got a pdf file back.

Michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Michal

We use WDA ABAP, and ZCI layout, and we prefill pdf source using an existing function module.

and we just found a solution for that:

1. ZCI must be enabled , and you have to insert required webdynpro scripts in SFP, there is a transaction for the conversion.

2. you must define an empty node for the datasource property of the pdf control.

then you will get the pdf source back from users in WDA, and then you may use adobe interface to grab data out of the xstring.

this works perfect at my side now!

i think this is the 'undocumented feature' , which is great help.

maybe the wda team do not know how powerful the abap adobe interface is , that only the pdf source is enough for programer to get everything out of the pdf.

the static context binding is soooo...unflexible.

good luck .

jun