cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the column constraint name for default values

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can't seem to find where I can alter the template used for creating a column's default value. Is this something the SQL Server does or is it something I can control? Below is a screen shot of 2 constraints that I've altered the constraint name template for and 6 constraints that pertain to column default values that I haven't named.

Thanks,

Mark

PD 16.5

SQL Server 2012

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

you can cchange the generation setting under

* edit DBMS

* ANSI 2::Script\Objects\Column\ConstName

change it to

CK_%.U17:COLUMN%_%.U8:TABLE%

or whatever meets your requirements

You should take the table name into the Constraintname because most times ( i dont know exactly for MSSQL-Sever) the Constrantname must be unique within the DB

Your example above looks like your template doesnt gives unique names within the db and MSSQL-Server then gives his own names to the not unique ones.

Generate everthing to a file instead directly to the Server and you´ll see if there are duplicates in the Constraint names.

it is also possible that you use the default clause in your table create statement without giving a name for this constraint and the Server then creates internally the names ( the DF_ leads me to that possebility)

HTH

dj

Message was edited by: dirk jaeckel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

I can't find the "ANSI 2" entry but here are my settings for the SQL Server constname...

Those settings are what get me the first two constraints. I suspect your last statement is spot on.

Here is the generated SQL from PD. There are no constraint names for the default values...

So I guess the question is where do you specify the template to do that since the one I specified above doesn't?

Thanks,

Mark

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry for the confusion about ansi2 i just opend a diffrent xdb because of laziness

to solve your "problem" :

its seemes it is like i wrote at the end of my last message:

you have unnamed defaults in your model which are automatically named from MSSQL-Server

IMO you can avoid them only by creating constraint-names in your model and use them:

you would go to the Microsoft Tab  on the column level:

the following:

would create this:

/*==============================================================*/
/* Table: TABLE_1                                               */
/*==============================================================*/
CREATE TABLE TABLE_1 (
   TEST_COL             CHAR(10)             CONSTRAINT or here NULL
)
go

But unfortunatly it doesnt looks like ther is an autmatiion for giving names here!

hth

dj

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

I found an solution for you:

the logic ist behind the extended attributes for Microsoft:

you can extend the extended attrib definition by setting the value field to computed and edit the getterfunction:

Function %Get%(obj)
   ' Implement your getter method on <obj> here
   ' and return the value

%Get% = "NL_" & replace(obj.name,".","_") 'in obj.name there ist table.columnname
End Function

do this for both variables:

ExtDeftConstName       %Get% = "DF_" & replace(obj.name,".","_") 'in obj.name there ist table.columnname

ExtNullConstName     %Get% = "NL_" & replace(obj.name,".","_") 'in obj.name there ist table.columnname

cheers

dj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

I did the following for ExtDeftConstName...

I'm not sure I need it for ExtNullConstname. If I do I will add the same script.

Since I only needed a Get method I checked the Read only button instead of the Read/Write button. Is this correct?

This is the result...

One last question. I don't know VBScript or the inner workings of PD so other than searching in the code examples and guessing how or where would I find the properties of classes such as the obj parameter passed in to the Get method?

Thanks again,

Mark

Answers (0)