Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profit center determination for WBS

former_member513364
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Is there any possibility for determination of Profit center for a WBS based on Work Center assignment in network activity for that WBS.

work center - cost center is one to one related, cost center - profit center is again one to one related.

There will be different PC for each WBS, and it will be tedious for users to enter PC at each WBS level.

Please advice a suitable way to address the requirement.

Regards,

Murthy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Murthy,

Before you can create a NWA with WBS assignment, that WBS should already exist, and it cannot exist without a Profit Center being already assigned.  I would rather challenge your logic here.

Besides the Work Center in internal NWA is used just for planning, actual work can be performed by many other Work Centers too...

What is your Profit Center design, just hope it is not 1:1 with Cost Centers?

Regards,

former_member513364
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

WBS already exists and there is no PC assigned to it.

as you pointed out, WC in NWA is for planning and actual can be performed by other WCs, but mostly will be done by the planned WC.

PC and CC are 1:1 and CC and WC are also 1:1.

any exit are determination rule available to accommodate the requirement.

Regards,

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Murthy,

Try substitution by writing a small piece of code.. To check for the WC work Center CC and then find the PC for the CC and substitute it to the WBS..

Regards

Sammar

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is based on the assumption that every single WBS has internal NWA assigned?  That assumption is bit too "strong" in my opinion.

Also you cannot change PC after postings, but still can move NWA around the structure, I am not convinced about the logic.

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Agree, need to define the derivation rules for the WBSes where there is no Internal work involved..

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Substitution for WBS works when you save WBS master data, but if I just create/change the NWA master data it will have no impact on WBS.

Sorry about that

former_member513364
Participant
0 Kudos

There will always be Internal NWA against each WBS, based on which WC is performing the actual work, system has to derive the PC for the WBS.

User will create WBS structure initially. while performing other work, NWA is created using BAPI. There are all possibilities that WC created through BAPI will be changed by the user( only once if required). After this update, PC should get derived during SAVE of project. After that there will never be any change in WC.

Can substitution help in this place.

Regards,

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Murthy,

Technically it is possible but before that there are few things which you need to think through

1. What happens if a WBS element has more than one Internal NWA? Or is it the case that it will always be One Internal Activity per WBS??

2. How do you stop the user from creating another Internal Activity under a WBS? In such a case which PC should be substituted if both activities have different WC on them?

3. Why is it so hard for a User to Maintain the Profit Center for the WBSes? How big is your structure?

4. Can you create standard templates in which the PC and other details are already populated? and users just uses these templates to create the operational projects?

Now lets assume you do wish to substitute the PC based on WC in the NWA then you would need to write a small code upon SAVE ( your technical guy should be able to find many badis which get triggered on SAVE) And there you need to write a small piece of code to do the substitution. Standard PS Substitution will not work here as Your WBS is created before the NWA exists. So you would need to tweak the code to suit your requirement..

if you don't want to use the standard tables to derive the PC from WC , you can also create a Z-table having possible combination of WC and PC and you can write a program to read from this table and update your project..

Hope it helps..

Regards

Sammar

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I am not sure on this.. Is it the case? As I had a substitution for all the WBSe to have PD CC. And it worked even If I had not changed anything at the PD level.. Let me see how it works.. maybe any change at the WBS level is also considered as change in project..

former_member513364
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

I have asked my user to give the PC manually.

As rightly said, I have decided to create Z table for WC and PC combination and updating my project.

Regards,

Murthy