cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password trouble in SDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, i've installed WebAS 6.40 and portal and i cannot login into the sdm, i try with 'sdm' as password and try with administrator password of was.

I also try to change sdm's password for several ways:

- with sdm changepassword sdmhome=<...> newpassword=<...> [password=<...>]

wiht that i've got the following error:

ERROR: Another SDM is running already for this SDM_HOME directory. Exiting.

Processing error. Return code: 4

- changing the hashedpassword in the sdmrepository.sdc file, and it dont work

- with the command 'sdm jstartup "mode=standalone"'

then trying to change the password

i hope somebody can help me...

thx.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Private_Member_739866
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Joaquin Da Silva

Check that jdk is installed or not in your server.

If installed uninstall it and delete all environment variables if set.

Then stop the sapinst.

Restart your server.

and start sapinst again.

It will work sure.

I have faced this problem recently.

Regards,

Paramvirsinh Jetawat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

Not Active Contributor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

We followed the following sequesce of steps and it worked perfect for us. This procedure is for UNIX environment

Login to OS as <SID>admin

cd /usr/sap/<PTS>/<JC68>/SDM/program

./StopServer.sh "sdmhome=/usr/sap/<PTS>/<JC68>/SDM/program"

./sdm.sh jstartup "sdmhome=/usr/sap/<PTS>/<JC68>/SDM/program" "mode=standalone"

./sdm.sh changepassword "sdmhome=/usr/sap/<PTS>/<JC68>/SDM/program" "newpassword=XYZ1234"

./sdm.sh jstartup "sdmhome=/usr/sap/<PTS>/<JC68>/SDM/program" "mode=integrated"

./StartServer.sh "sdmhome=/usr/sap/<PTS>/<JC68>/SDM/program"

for AS/400 we just have to call qsh and then follow the above steps

Reg,

Kishore Gadewar

Edited by: kishore Gadewar on Aug 1, 2008 9:12 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks to all.

just looking at the thread i solved the SDM missed password issue.

thanks

Regards,

Giammaria Pace

rajarshi_muhuri
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Steps to change the SDM password

1. Stop the server from the SAP Management console.

2. Navigate to the SDM\program directory in MS-DOS window . For example on my machine it was C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\SDM\program

3. start the standalone SDM

sdm jstartup "sdmhome=C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\SDM\program" "mode=standalone"

4. change the password

sdm changepassword "sdmhome=C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\SDM\program" "newpassword=abcd1234"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajarshi Muhuri ,

I tried to change the SDM as suggested by you. I checked the file "sdmrepository.sdc", it changed from previous value. But when I tried to start the server using SAP Management Console, SDM module is coming to stopped status even after few restarts.

Steps did:

1. stop all instance using SAP Management Console.

2. Changed the SDM to "abcd1234" using your steps.

3. Tried to restart using SAP Management Console. Boooooom

Any thoughts.

Suren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suren,

did you changed the startup mode back to integrated?

sdm.sh jstartup mode=integrated

Best regards,

Edgar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Joaquin,

I had a similar problem and tried all the various suggestions given on this forum. The only one that worked for me was to go into the "sdmrepository.doc" file and put in the hashed value of "sdm" into the <HashedPassword> entry.

I found the file in the following path of my locally installed NDS:

C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\SDM\program\config

The hashed value is "yPLDEBe3oOb6H2mmjJ0zztOgw/A="

So your final entry should look like this:

<HashedPassword>

yPLDEBe3oOb6H2mmjJ0zztOgw/A=

</HashedPassword>

Make sure you stop the server before doing this. Not sure why, but I had to stop/restart the server a couple of times before it recognized the change.

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me

David

yonko_yonchev
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

The SDM password is stored as an <b>irreversible</b> hash in the SDM repository. Therefore, editing the hashed value of the password is not advisable and may not necessarily resolve SDM log-in problems.

To change the SDM password, you can use the SDM command line interface instead. The syntax for changing the SDM password is the following:

sdm changepassword sdmhome=<...> newpassword=<...> [password=]

where the parameter <i>password</i> is the old password. Since 6.30 SP5, this parameter has been set optional so that the password can be changed without reference to its current value. Consult the SDM Command Line Interface Manual in /usr/sap/<SID>/<INSTANCE>/SDM/program/doc/SDMCommandLineDoc630_en_final.pdf, for more information.

Also, follow up with SAP notes 756084 and 701654.

Regards,

Yonko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Placing a new hash of a password that you know will resolve the problem, even if it isn't recomended. Of course you should always backup files before modification and you should use a proper editor when opening XML files.

The changepassword command of SDM isn't very well documented and is not referred to in the notes you mention, those notes apply to the Administrators password. The password for "sdm" is only stored in the repository for SDM. But, as there is a proper command to perform the function the command should be used always!!!This really should be documented in the Note 756084 instead of simply sending people to the docs.

yonko_yonchev
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Nicholas,

please see my comments below.

<i>Placing a new hash of a password that you know will resolve the problem, even if it isn't recomended. Of course you should always backup files before modification and you should use a proper editor when opening XML files.</i>

Replacing the hash <b>may not necessarily</b> resolve the log in problem, as I mentioned in my previous post.Given the command line interface of the SDM allows you to change the SDM password by actually seeing what you set as a new password, it is advisable to use this tool. Furthermore, for additional security you may want to set a non-standard password, which is something that is much harder to do when you are manually replacing the hash...

<i>The changepassword command of SDM isn't very well documented and is not referred to in the notes you mention, those notes apply to the Administrators password. The password for "sdm" is only stored in the repository for SDM. But, as there is a proper command to perform the function the command should be used always!!! This really should be documented in the Note 756084 instead of simply sending people to the docs.</i>

The docs are the primary info source and SAP notes are only supplements to the docs, not the other way around. Therefore it is advisable to consult documentation first.

Regards,

Yonko Yonchev

Message was edited by:

Yonko Yonchev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you run the "sdm jstartup mode=standalone" command before the changepassword command? If not the SDM will still be running thus the error message you are receiving.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The password for SDM is the one you can gave it during your installation with SAPINST. Re-start SAP and then try again with your original password.

ERROR: Another SDM is running already for this SDM_HOME directory. Exiting. Processing error. Return code: 4

You can also try this:

ps -ef|grep j2ee

Kill any java processes you see, and then re-start SAP.

Thanks, Phani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hai ,

i forget the sdm pasword , i have the hashed password of sdm...

can anybody say me how to rehash tat hashed password...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there!

I followed the steps steps to change the SDM password

1. Stop the server from the SAP Management console.

2. Navigate to the SDM\program directory in MS-DOS window . For example on my machine it was C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\SDM\program

3. start the standalone SDM

sdm jstartup "sdmhome=C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\SDM\program" "mode=standalone"

4. change the password

sdm changepassword "sdmhome=C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\SDM\program" "newpassword=abcd1234"

Restarted the server several times and now SDN on my J2EE Engine is always RED!

What could happened ?