Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRM and NWBC desktop

_IvanFemia_
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SRM Experts,

I would like to have some clarification on the current status of the integration between SRM and NWBC.

Reading the SAP Help I can understand that using the Portal-Independent Navigation Frame you can use the NWBC (HTML) without any issue, but it also says:

• NetWeaver Business Client for Desktop

To run SAP SRM applications in the Portal-independent navigation frame, you can only use the NetWeaver Business Client for HTML, not the NetWeaver Business Client for Desktop.

This means that I can use NWBC desktop only if I haven't the Portal-Indipendent navigation frame. Is that correct?

Is it also correct saying that in this scenario the java portal can't be shutted down?

I read also this blog post in early 2014 by Former Member and reply from , but SAP documentation is still stating that NWBC desktop is not supported.

Now my question:

Is NWBC desktop supported for SRM?

Can we use it without having the JAVA EP in place or can we only use NWBC HTML with the indipendet frame on?

Any feedback or experience on this topic is really welcomed!

Thank you

Ivan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

This statement in the documentation is incorrect - I have spoken to the SRM docu colleague and it will be changed in the next docu release.

In the meantime, the correct information is provided in our NWBC FAQs:

"In general SRM - including OBN - works with NWBC for Desktop or HTML. However, if you use SRM as an integration hub and then navigate to a remote system, then OBN will NOT work within the remote system.

See also SAP Note 2060102 for further limitations of NWBC for HTML.

You can also use SRM with the Portal Independent Navigation Frame, a client developed by the SRM group and based on - but not identical to - NWBC for HTML. See the Help Portal for more information: Portal-Independent Navigation Frame. "

Best wishes,

Julie.

_IvanFemia_
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Julie,

Do you have a reference to a guide or best practice document for the transition from SAP Portal to NWBC Destop and Client?

Thank you

Ivan

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

Sorry about the delay; I was ill. We don't have an official guide, but has written a blog series, which runs through many of the issues:

http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-business-client/blog/2014/02/28/the-netweaver-business-client...-

@Simon, I am mentioning you as a contact, if Ivan has any followup questions. I hope that's ok.

Best wishes,

Julie R Plummer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No problem. Happy to help if I can. We are using it and have faced some interesting issues with OBN, especially for the so called SRM harmonized roles (ERP/SRM), but we have managed to fix all issues AFAIK.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ivy_li
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

SRM supports NWBC desktop and NWBC HTML.

Many customers already use both of them.

It is fine to use NWBC without NetWeaver Portal, and they have nothing to do with each other.

Best regards,

Ivy

_IvanFemia_
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Ivy,

for the question related to the Portal-Independent Navigation Frame, are you using NWBC desktop version with or without this option? SAP Help seems to be categorical on this point, but I believe/hope it is just an outdated information.

Thank you

Ivan