cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second PI development box (Objects are Original / Modifiable)

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you give me your thoughts on whether the following will work:

Current development environment:

• PiDEV1, PiQA1

2nd development environment:

• PiDEV2, PiQA2

The 2nd development environment will be built by exporting and importing ESR and IB objects from the current development environment (so PiDEV2 will start as a copy of PiDEV1). Development of interfaces will continue in the 2nd environment but I still want to keep the route to production via the current environment. Will this work?

i.e. will there be any issues with moving objects as follows PiDEV2 -> PiQA2 -> PiDEV1. As PiDEV1 will have the attributes "Objects are Original" and "Objects are Modifiable" set will there be any issue importing objects from PiQA2?

Any thoughts?

Cheers Che

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

azharshaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Che,

Is there any specific reason to have to copies of PI systems? What is the PI version for each of them?...I assume DEV2 is latest PI version.

Ideally you will move all the objects from lower PI to latest PI version. Once you move all the objects to DEV2 from DEV1, you can use DEV2 --> QA2 path instead of DEV1. You can do your developments / CR on the objects in DEV2..instead of doing it in DEV1 and then moving it...

will have the attributes "Objects are Original" and "Objects are Modifiable" set

>>> AFAIK there is no impact of this property

Regards,

Azhar

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Azhar,

The idea is to keep using DEV1 for production fixes and use DEV2 for ongoing project work. Any fixes applied to DEV1 would be manually applied to DEV2.

Both PI environments are the same version and patch. I would not have a problem with continuing development in DEV2 but the plan is to then feed back to DEV1. This is the bit I am not sure about DEV2 -> QA2 -> DEV1 -> QA2

Thanks Che

anand_shankar10
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Che,

Your requirement is something like you are providing one environment to the development team and the other to the support team.

SO if you want to keep Dev2 for production fixes make sure that the data in dev 2 is synched with prod at first and then every time fixes move from Dev2 to prod is taken a backup on Dev1 for the development team.

DEV2--> QA2--> Prod (Enhancement and tickets)

QA2--> DEV1--> QA1--> Prod (New Development)

Thanks

Anand

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

When you say "take a backup" what do you mean? How?

Che

anand_shankar10
Active Participant
0 Kudos

By Backup I meant, move the changes from Prod to Dev 1 so that dev team always have the latest version for them.

Regards

Anand

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

I think your plan is similar to what I said i.e. at some point changes need to be moved back to Dev1. My only concern is moving things back to Dev1 which is the Original system. Until I try this it is difficult to say what issues if any may arise.

Che

anand_shankar10
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I had such landscape with one of my clients and so I can confirm that there would be no issues.

Thanks

Anand

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

That is encouraging. I will close this thread for now and post my results in a new thread once I have tried the proposal. It could be sometime though.

Che

Answers (0)