SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISU_PROFV retention periods and archiving Billing docs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Right now I have my ISU_BILL and ISU_BILLZ retention periods set to 520 days, and the ISU_PROFV set to 732 days.  When I try to update the retention period for ISU_BILL to 1070 days, i get the following error message:

Diagnosis

A retention period has been entered for a profile value category, that
    is shorter than that of the billing document headers.

This is an invalid entry, because you cannot archive profile values
    before billing document headers.

System Response

The system does not permit you to save the retention period combination.

Procedure

Correct the retention period for the profile value category or the
    corresponding billing document header category accordingly.

I know this can be resolved by extending the value in ISU_PROFV, but I would like to understand the implications of making this change.

(What is the archiving object ISU_PROFV used for? What is the relationship between the retention period for ISU_PROFV and ISU_BILL and ISU_BILLZ?  Are there any dependencies? What are the impacts to other areas/modules of changing the retention period for ISU_PROFV?)

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

mohammedmuzammil
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Linda,

The archiving object corresponds to the business objects in SAP ( Bill document, Print Document, etc ). We need to consider the dependancies between these business objects as we perform the archiving.

In the present case, the business process goes something like this...

1. The profile values are loaded in the system

2. The consumption (derived out of the profile values) is billed

3. The invoicing is done.

When we perform the archiving, it has to be done in the below fashion.

1. Archive the invoice document

2. Archive the billing document

3. Archive the profile values

As we perform the archiving, the dependancies are determined through the retention periods.

Retention periods define the duration for which the data stays in the online database.

Now when we say that the retention period for the archiving objects corresponding to the billing document header and line item (  ISU_BILL and ISU_BILLZ ) is 520 days...it means that any billing document header or line item created in the last 520 days in the system will bot be considered for archiving and the records before that would get considered for archiving.

Same applies to the retention period of archiving object for profile values, i.e any profile value created ( or probably where the profile date ) is in the last 732 will not be considered for archiving. And anything prior to that would be considered for archiving.

By extending the retention period of the bill document/line items archiving object and maintaining a lesser retention period for the profile values archiving object we are saying that we would retain the bill document / line item data in the system but would archive the consumption/profile values based on which these bill documents were generated!

Goto SARA transaction and key in the archiving object ISU_PROFV and press enter, then click on the left most icon of the application tool bar which is "Network Graphic", which tells you as to which archiving objects should be archived before archiving ISU_PROFV.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mohammed Muzammil.