cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

documentation templates and naming coventions

0 Kudos

Greetings all,

nice to join the SAP community Network

I have started working in documentation management for a big project, can any please help me to know if SAP recommends some naming conventions and Templates (as part of Best Practices)? There will be more variety of documents in coming days, however as of now below are possible types of documents in scope:

Business Blueprint

To Be Processes

Organizational Structure document (in Solution Manager)

Configuration Guide

Authorization Document

Master Data document

WRICEF Specifications

WRICEF Technical Specifications

Unit Test Cases

Integration Test Cases

Functional Test Cases

UAT Test Case

Thanks by advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

basically, I can inform you that there are no mandatory naming conventions. In the customizing of DMS you can mainly define what ever you want and you do not have to use specific names.

For example in transaction DC10 you can define your document types and you can feel free to use the description you want.

Based on my experience I would recommend you to take care of the filenames that are used for the original files in DMS. Because here I would suggest to use filenames without spaces or special characters in it. Such characters or spaces always can cause problems.

Best regards,
Christoph

0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Thanks, I do realize the same - there won't be any recommended naming conventions; all to be built is by us keeping in view some things like no spaces, no special characters,....

Apart from this, does SAP recommend what are minimum set of documents that should be built for a project (e.g. Business blueprints, Technical Specs, Authorization documents, .....)?

And in this case, does SAP has some recommended templates for different types of documents
?

Thanks by advance

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

I think that this is a slight misunderstanding. In DMS you create document info records which are like containers for files. These document info records can be classified or some objects can be linked to them.

But the main content is the uploaded original file. This can be each file format using a workstation application that you have maintained first in DC30.  This file can be a template or a finalized document that is then uploaded to a content server.

You can also define some templates that can be used to create new original files. For further information please read the online documentation at http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/79/60e9522806b267e10000000a441470/content.htm?framese...

Best regards,
Christoph

Answers (0)