cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Monitor Alerts won't stop!!!

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Grr...  ok, so I had configured some job alerts just to test out how well job monitoring/alerting worked.  turns out that it didn't work at all with the version of ST-PI and A/PI we were on.  So I upgraded ST-PI and A/PI and now my alert inbox is swamped.

I had set one of the job thresholds to 1 minute during testing, but since it didn't work I neglected to change it to a higher value.  So now I'm getting alerts for one specific run of a job, and I can't get the alerts to stop.

I have changed the thresholds to much higher values.  I have generated/activated/deactivated the job monitor.  I have changed the notification settings. I have removed that system from Technical Monitoring.

But that alert keeps coming!  Every minute.  Hundreds of them.  I can set a rule in Outlook to delete them, no issue there, but I really need to get this stopped.

Any ideas on why this is happening?  It appears that the configuration is not being changed no matter what I do in tech mon.

grr...  fix one thing, something else breaks..

SM7.1 sp10, st-pi 2008 700 sp11

thanks.
Bernie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bernie,

No question that would be annoying, to say the least. Perhaps a silly question, but have you tried restarting SolMan?

Regards,

Matt

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Not silly at all, first thing I thought of.  But we're in a position where doing that isn't our option of first resort..   Would prefer to handle this without taking it down..

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, seems to have stopped.  I found mai_tools and deleted the configuration item.

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Further analysis and update on this - it appears that the notifications that we were getting were being generated simply by the notification process.  New alerts were NOT being generated but Solman seemed to be in an endless loop of sending out the same notification.  1800 times before I killed it. 

My suspicion is that while I was running an ST-PI and ST-A/PI update , some notification process  was running and got put into an unresolvable state.  This notification issue started directly after the updates were done.

Not sure how to avoid this in future - seems to be a major PITA if we need to suspend monitoring before doing updates.. 

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for this follow-up on your investigation. It was probably just bad timing, as you say. It might be worth submitting an Incident to SAP, even though you've resolved the immediate problem, just to bring the issue to their attention, so that they can develop a fix for future updates.