cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Material Groups 1 to 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

I use to run sales reports in BW as a front end user while working for a previous company using the Material group categories 1 to 5, where the products were set up split into 3 brands using group 1 then into continuing sub categories using 2 then 3 ...and maybe 4 if needed. This enabled me to run a report or sales of a single item using material number (EAN) or by using combinations of material 1,2 and 3 I could get the sales for a group of products without having to type in all the material numbers individually. Im now at a different employer and on the otherside of the fence so to speak.....im in the master data team full time and we are setting up the system to run smoother in the future and take out some of the local variations. Some of the regions / countries it seems are using the material groups like my previous countries although not in a logical way.....My question.....1 were these groups intended for use in the way my old company used them...ie to help in categorising products.....2 by changing them or reordering them would it effect other tables / data......3 is it worth bothering or is it a waste of time or is there a better way of achieving the same result.....any help or comments would be greatly received.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark ,

The Material Groups are maitained totally depending upon your Business. There might be a logical reason based on which they are categorised. To answer you questions

1) Yes, Material groups are used to categorise a product.

2) Yes, the system will prompt you message when you change the material group from one to another.

3) Depends completely on your business set up,I would try to understand why the groups are placed in this way in the first place.

Regards,

Vag Vignesh Shenoy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vag

Really appreciate you taking time to give me an answer, I will search out the right people in the organisation to get a full picture before suggesting changes.

Best regards,

Mark