cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP DB Migration : from Windows to AIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I need to do the SAP ECC 6.0 system migration form window to AIX. DB is oracle 10.g. I had done the export at windows OS and now I have to the import at AIX system. I am pretty new for AIX and need your help.

I will appreciate If you share any of the document on how to do import or DB migration on AIX.

What are the tools that I can use like R3load. Is there any guide available on that?

Awaiting for your replies..

Thanks in advance..

Regards

Hemant Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hemant,

When you said export - what do you mean here? Did you take an export at the SAPINST level? If so, you are in good shape. You'd perform a standard SAP installation on AIX/Oracle, but during one of the initial input screens for the database instance installation, you'd specifiy your export files for the build and not the SAP delivered export files. The installation will continue as normal, except that you'd be building with your own files. This process will even rename the SID pieces for you so your system is quite clean. I've done this process many times, and can tell you that the export files are DB/OS independent.

You can also build the system from an offline oracle database backup - it's an option that I've not tried yet.

A few notes for you on the process:

1) Get a migration key from SAP since you are doing an OS/DB migration.

2) For the AIX build remember the order will change for installation:

a. You will build a Central Instance.

b. You will start the Database Instance build,

c. At a specific step, the DB build will pause, at which time you will build the database (Oracle)

d. You will then return to the DB instance build and finish the process.

If you have some more information on how you've exported the SAP system, I can try to give you some more information.

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for replying to the message.

I had done the DB export using SAPinst only and I also had got the migration key from SAP. Can you send me the document that will guide me during installation using DB import.

If I understood it correctly you mean to say at the time of installation, when SAP asks for RDBMS dvd , I should link it to the Db export. if this is right & then what should I provide for oracle client.

I am still not very clear on this. Request you to explain those steps & if possible send me the related document. That will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Hemant,

No. First off, you're in good shape for this install.

Take the RDBMS out of this - Unix installs - including AIX handle the DB installation differently. In Windows, you install the DB first, then go thru the CI and DB instance installations.

In UNIX, you'll install the CI first, then start the the DB instance installation. About 10 or so steps into the DB instance installation, SAPINST 'pauses' so you can go out to actually install the database. Once you've installed/patched the database, you'll return to SAPINST and continue the installation. I point this out because the ordering is different from Windows, and if you're not familiar with Unix, then this is a significant change.

In terms of your export, on about the 4th SAPINST input screen for the DB Instance installation, you'll be asked about the "DB Load Method". Typically, you'll say a "Standard Installation" However, in this case you'll choose the option for your custom export. So later on during the SAPINST input screens, insead of providing the LABEL.ASC files of the SAP supplied Export CDs (DVD), you'll supply the LABEL.ASC of <i>your</i> export.

Basically, you are performing a standard SAP installation. All you're doing here is switching the standard SAP Export file for your custom export files. The SAPINST export on your Windows box accomplished this for you.

After the installation is complete, you'll have your database instead of the standard SAP database. This is a huge plus in the even there are a lot of support packs in the system.

One other note - if your system is Unicode, then do not run the Unicode programs you'd run for a standard installation. Since these were already run in your source system, they don't need to be run again.

Let me know if this makes sense now.

Cheers,

Tim

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hermant,

The process is really very simple, now that you have taken your export you need to perform your import on your AIX system. You have to do this using sapisnt from

an installation master CD for AIX.

Select the Options

Additional Software Lifecycle Tasks,

- System Copy

- Target System

Dependon on the type of System you have you will need to select either a Central or distributed system

Sapinst will run as a normal installation excpet it will prompt you for the export dump files from your source system rather than for the export CDs (if it was a new installation).

The tools used are identical, sapisnt, r3load, and maybe jload if you have java.

I suggest you refer to the system copy documentation at the following site

http:
service.sap.com\systemcopy.