Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Editions of Linux Enterprise Servers

markus_karsch5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm evaluating which Linux licenses we need for HANA (for Business Suite).

Red Hat:

According to note 2013638 RHEL for SAP HANA license is necessary to get some special libraries, so "normal" RHEL is not possible.

SUSE:

For SLES I couldn't find any information that SLES for SAP applications version is necessary. According to FAQ there are some benefits but nothing we really need:

- Ease of installation (not needed for customer with small landscapes)

- Validated stack (nice to have)

- HA with Cluster (not needed because of VMWare)

- Seamless support between SAP and SUSE (nice to have)

- Support for large workloads (would be nice, but is alone worth the extra money?)

https://www.suse.com/products/sles-for-sap/frequently-asked-questions/

What are your opinions or experiences?

Regards

Markus

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Especially for HANA I would (of course ;-)) recommend SUSE as your base operating system. SUSE has been endorsed by SAP for several year and therefore have proven history of Customer Success.

The difference with SLES and SLES for SAP has some other advantages in store for you as well.

- Seperate SAP certified repositories

- extended 18 months support lifecycle of your Linux OS to fit your

- Memory optimization (Page Cache Limit - SAP Note 1557506)

And although VMware has some HA functionalities... The features that SUSE have are on a level that VMware is not able to touch. We collaborate with them in order to go towards zero downtime.

Drop me an e-mail if you need additional information

Have a great weekend.

Marijn

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications: See Why It’s the Leading Linux Platform for SAP. ...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

for HANA you either need "RHEL for SAP HANA", or (at minimum) the standard SLES11 product. Even if standard SLES11 is sufficient, the "SLES for SAP Applications" product is recommended.

Best regards,

Helge

markus_karsch5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Strange, no one else seems to asked this question before and made any experience.