cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded BI - System Upgrade, Support Package application and so on

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since Netweaver '04, SAP R/3 and SAP BW/SEM were separated system.

Now, with Netweaver 2004s and the "embedded BI", they are unified on the same installation.

1)The upgrade operations for R/3 and BW are separated or in the same package?

So, support package installation is cumulative?

2)When R/3 is down for upgrade/support pack---> BW is Down?

When BW is down for upgrade/support pack---> R/3 is Down?

3) System crash is cumulative?

Points for every useful answer,

Thank you, Claudio

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Claudio,

I'm not sure what you are saying here. The NW04 and NW04s product lineups are the same. If you have an R/3 (ECC 5.0) based on WAS640 you'd goto ECC 6.0 on WAS 700. If you have BW 3.5/SEM 4.0 based on WAS640, you'd upgrade to BI 7.0/SEM 6.0.

Every system that is based on WAS700 has BW components in it - including ECC 5.0. That does not mean you'd want to run the system as a BW and an ECC system - the processing differences in an OLAP and OLTP still remain.

I would recommend upgrading each of your systems separately. While technically you can run everything on one instance, this is really not feasible from a practical perspective.

SAP, to my knowledge, does not support an upgrade or migration path to 'combine' systems like this.

My suggestion is to take your SEM 4.0 system to SEM 6.0 and to upgrade the ECC 5.0 system to ECC 6.0, maintaining the same structure as you have currently.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

thank you very much for your answer.

From a DB/System perspective, do you have other matters for supporting separated instances and not the same (BI+R/3)?

Thank you in advance,

Claudio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Claudio,

I'd refer first to the master guide for NW04S. Head to the service marketplace and use the alias "/installnw2004s".

The master guide should give you the information you need (from SAP) to back up this strategy.

Cheers,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

I read it,.... but I'm a BI expert,... not a system expert.... I understood only a little bit of its content....

Thank you,

Claudio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gottcha. Well I would still break out these systems onto 2 different servers, since OLTP and OLAP systems use the hardware so differently. Besides, I don't think what you propose is even technically possible from an upgrade, so that in itself should be enough proof for you

Good luck.