cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Country to country license type determination strategy

0 Kudos

Dear GTS gurus,

Does any of you know if there is a way to have a determination strategy for legal control based on Country/Country/Control Class?

Basically I would need to trigger a different license type if I ship a product domestically or internationally under a common legal regulation so I need to have a strategy that can be defined as:

Country of Dept A / Country of Dest B / control class XYZ --> International license

Country of Dept A / Country of Dest A / control class XYZ --> Domestic license

Country of Dept B / Country of Dest A / control class XYZ --> International license

etc...

The only standard license type determination strategy that I can see which considers Dept and Dest is CD18 but it is country group based.

I'd like to avoid to create a country group per country and wonder if there could be a direct country to country determination strategy.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mouaz_benredjeb
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nicolas,

Few ideas/shots that may help:

- Have 2 Legal Regulations, one activated for domestic flows and one activated for Exports/Imports flows. As you have 2 legal regulations, you can drive the license determination strategy differently.

- Within the license type attributes, for the domestic license, maintain the list of country of arrival that are domestic. E.g. Shipping from Germany, add in the domestic license the country of arrival as being Germany.Within the determination strategy, set the system to look first for the domestic license, if not found, then look for the international license (which has not any country of arrival defined)

- Use determination strategy CD20 which is Region/Region/Control class. In this case, you will need to maintain in the determination strategy all combinations of Region/Region that should be considered as domestic flow.

Of course, above solutions require some testing in a sandbox system to check the system behavior first.

I am also interested in which legal background you have for the segregation between domestic and/or international license types

Regards.

Mouaz

0 Kudos

Hello Mouaz,

Here first a little summary of the requirements I face. It concerns the CITES legal regulation which manages international trade of endangered species, animal, plants and derived products. When they're imported, and according to the classification of goods, an import permit should be asked to local authorities. When they're purchased domestically we simply need a vendor declaration which proves that goods were imported with the proper permit. Every Purchase Order should then be blocked and depending if goods are purchased domestically or internationally a different license type should be used to release the order, thus the distinction.

Considering your suggestions:

- Have 2 Legal Regulations, one activated for domestic flows and one activated for Exports/Imports flows. As you have 2 legal regulations, you can drive the license determination strategy differently.

Probably the best solution though I am not a great fan of multiplying legal regulations in the system because of what I consider being a technical limitation (no country to country determination strategy).

- Within the license type attributes, for the domestic license, maintain the list of country of arrival that are domestic. E.g. Shipping from Germany, add in the domestic license the country of arrival as being Germany.Within the determination strategy, set the system to look first for the domestic license, if not found, then look for the international license (which has not any country of arrival defined)

That could not work in my scenario as it requires licenses to be created in advance which can't be done when licenses are transaction (document) based.

- Use determination strategy CD20 which is Region/Region/Control class. In this case, you will need to maintain in the determination strategy all combinations of Region/Region that should be considered as domestic flow.

Not every countries have regions defined in the system by default and it also requires vendor master data to be properly maintained with region code which is unfortunately not 100% sure

Another option could be to go with a simple CD02 Country/Control Class determination strategy and assign both license types to every country leaving to the end user to decide which one is the correct one to use according to the transaction data (with potential errors)

In any case, thank you for your input!

I still wonder why there are plenty of default determination strategies in GTS (and some pretty complex ones!) and nothing as simple as Country of Dept/Country of Dest/Control class?

The logic shouldn't be much more complex than the standard CD18

Regards

Nicolas

mouaz_benredjeb
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the explanation about the legal background. Sometimes it helps to forget about the technical issue and get back to the original requirement to understand it, analyse it and find a solution to it . As well, it is good for the global knowledge of the community.

In how many countries do you need to set up the CITES controls ?

If the none of the above proposed solutions using the customizing can solve your issue, my last proposal would be to use the BADI that influence the license type determination:

- In the License Type determination strategy, set the system to propose both domestic and international license types

- In the BADI, when dealing with a domestic flow, delete the international license type

- In the BADI, when dealing with an international flow, delete the domestic license type

(I don't have access right now to a GTS system so I can't say the name of the BADI nor confirm that you can have the country of departure / arrival in order to determine if we are dealing with a domestic or international flow)

Regards.

Mouaz BEN REDJEB

Answers (0)