Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal Groups overwritten during import

russell_turner5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a lot of portal users maintained in LDAP and they belong to some existing groups. I am using the Import application within User Adminisration to update some fields:

[User]

UID=TestTest

Language=en_GB

com.sap.security.core.usermanagement:DataTimeout=1800

$usermapping$:DEVCLNT300:user=10054512

group=newgroup;

This works fine but it removes all the groups to which TestTest has already been assigned. Can someone tell me if this can be avoided?

Cheers,

Russ.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the Import of User/Group/Role Data screen, there's a check box for 'Overwrite Existing Data' directly below the Plain Text Upload box and immediately above the Upload button... I'm assuming you have that selected. If you de-select it, the data should be merged and your existing Portal groups should be maintained.

If you've tried that and the groups are still overwritten, you could work around the issue by first exporting your Portal users and then merging this data with your existing import file to be sure that existing groups are also referenced. It's not ideal, but would work around the obvious bug you're encountering.

<KC>

russell_turner5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks again.

Yes I've got the overwrite checkbox checked and it does indeed overwrite rather than merge the groups. I did think about the download and merge workaround before, but there are over 200 users so so ideally wanted an easy solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's definitely the issue then... uncheck that box before you run the import.

<KC>

russell_turner5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Before I start, this is the export of user TestTest:

[User]

uid=testtest

last_name=test

accessibility=0

role=

group=oldgroup2;oldgroup1;

If I then Import the following without the overwrite flag checked:

[User]

uid=testtest

last_name=test

accessibility=0

role=

group=newgroup;

I get an error saying 'Exists' and no update is made.

If I mport the above with the overwrite flag checked:the result is:

[User]

uid=testtest

last_name=test

accessibility=0

role=

group=newgroup;

i.e. no more oldgroups! Rubbish!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's unfortunate. You'll be stuck exporting your users and merging this with your other import file to retain group memberships.

Unless... just thought of something... what if you exported your groups from Portal, instead of users. You could run the same import file you've already got and then run an import of the groups that you just exported and it should re-add those users back to the groups.

Again, not ideal... but it only adds two steps (groups export at very beginning and group import at very end).

<KC>

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to specify the PORTAL groups to which you want this user to belong in your input file. The entry you showed in your post would only add this user to the 'newgroup' group in Portal. If the groups that user belongs to in LDAP don't exist in Portal, create them first and then make sure they're specified in the group= property for each user.

Did you extract your LDAP user information with LDIF? Your LDIF query should ask for group memberships and you can cut/paste that info for your Portal import.

<KC>

russell_turner5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

My TestTest user already belongs to 2 groups (say oldgroup1 and olgroup2) within the portal. When the above text file is imported, TestTest is then only belonging to the newgroup. i.e. it has removed the old assignments.Sorry if I wasn't clear before.